Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,419   Online: 1034
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Non coupled

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    82

    Non coupled

    Morning everyone.
    coupled rangefinder lenses, like those used on the Bessa R series and Leica's seem to be the norm, but, was it always this way? Are there any non-coupled gems out there? I have in my collection a couple of Bessa L's and obviously they don't need the above function although I use them with a J-8 and a 35/f2.5 Voigt. Just curious really as to what else is out there.

    Take care out there everyone.
    B.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgrey View Post
    Morning everyone.
    coupled rangefinder lenses, like those used on the Bessa R series and Leica's seem to be the norm, but, was it always this way? Are there any non-coupled gems out there? I have in my collection a couple of Bessa L's and obviously they don't need the above function although I use them with a J-8 and a 35/f2.5 Voigt. Just curious really as to what else is out there.

    Take care out there everyone.
    B.
    Uncoupled, yes, gems; rather fewer.

    Prior to early 1932 all Leica lenses were uncoupled. Since then, I think that all have been coupled except a few Visoflex-mount lenses. The 35/4.5 Snapshot Elmar was proposed as an uncoupled lens, and built in prototype, but never entered production.

    There have however been uncoupled lenses from a few other manufacturers, including the Periflex series (with reflex focusing via a periscope, hence 'Periflex', they didn't need an RF), but the only ones I'd call 'gems' are the original Kobayashi 15/4.5 and 25mm Voigtlanders, and the 15/2.8 Distagon from Zeiss.

    Cheers,

    Roger

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Westminster, Maryland, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,504
    Zeiss has a whole line of new coupled rangefinder lenses too.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

    http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Zeiss has a whole line of new coupled rangefinder lenses too.
    Yes, but the 15/2.8 is the only uncoupled one -- slightly to my surprise. Of course you don't need coupling with a 15 but it still struck me as somehow odd that this staggeringly expensive lens isn't coupled. The others are 21/2.8, 21/4.5, 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/2, 50.1.5, 85/2. I've tried all except the 85/2 (which Zeiss has promised) and been very impressed. There are pics taken with several of them at http://www.rogerandfrances.com/sgallery/g%20zi%20i.html

    And there are more lenses to come...

    Cheers,

    Roger

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Uncoupled, yes, gems; rather fewer.

    Prior to early 1932 all Leica lenses were uncoupled. Since then, I think that all have been coupled except a few Visoflex-mount lenses. The 35/4.5 Snapshot Elmar was proposed as an uncoupled lens, and built in prototype, but never entered production.

    Cheers,

    Roger
    So no gems to look out for on evilbay then Roger? Any idea as to why the 35/4.5 Snapshot Elmar was never put into production? I'm off now to read the review of Zeiss 35/f2 which I'll obviously compare to my Voigt 35/f2.5 though not in price of course.
    Thanks for the interesting reply Roger.

    Brian.

  6. #6
    Chazzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    South Bend, IN, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,839
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Yes, but the 15/2.8 is the only uncoupled one -- slightly to my surprise. Of course you don't need coupling with a 15 but it still struck me as somehow odd that this staggeringly expensive lens isn't coupled. The others are 21/2.8, 21/4.5, 24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/2, 50.1.5, 85/2. I've tried all except the 85/2 (which Zeiss has promised) and been very impressed. There are pics taken with several of them at http://www.rogerandfrances.com/sgallery/g%20zi%20i.html
    There are some great pictures there, Roger, but unless I am missing something, one can only guess which lens was used in each.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgrey View Post
    Any idea as to why the 35/4.5 Snapshot Elmar was never put into production?
    Dear Brian,

    No point, I think; they reckoned that more people wanted feature-laden Leicas (with the new coupled RF, etc.) and there wasn't mich point in offering a low-cost, low-spec lens. They may also have been working extra hard (as they are now) to keep up with demand for new high-end stuff, and not had the resources to deal with the Snapshot Elmar.

    Cheers,

    Roger

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northern Aquitaine
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    There are some great pictures there, Roger, but unless I am missing something, one can only guess which lens was used in each.
    Dear Chazzy,

    No, you're not missing anything. It's a question of time: there's so much work in that site that the galleries are just that, galleries, not part of the Photo School.

    I suppose I could caption the thumbnails, but I'd need to enter camera, lens, film, and which of us (Frances or me) took the pic. The information is available to subscribers in the Zeiss Ikon tests. I don't normally mention the paid parts of the site because that's too much like advertising, but I reckon that the free parts are fair game.

    Personally I find it quite interesting trying to work out from internal evidence (especially perspective) which lens was used to make a particular pic. The 15s are obvious enough, I think, but after that it can be hard to tell two adjacent focal lengths from one another (especially 21mm/25mm, 25mm/28mm, 35mm/50mm) -- in which case it's possible to argue that it doesn't matter.

    Cheers,

    Roger

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    830
    You seem to be talking about removable lens cameras, but just in case you're interested there are a number of beautiful vintage "folder" cameras around that are uncoupled - fixed-lens, though.

    I have one restored from Jurgen Kreckel (www.certo6.com) - an Agfa Isolette III - fantastic condition - I don't shoot with it as much as I'd like due to the cost of 120 film (although I do have a few expired rolls stockpiled in the freezer now...)

  10. #10
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    The wider Cosina Voigtlander lenses are uncoupled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin