Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,830   Posts: 1,582,277   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Voigtlander Vito B

Hi all--
    I just got a Voigtlander Vito B, unfortunately the seller neglected to mention that the shutter is frozen solid. Anyhoo, does anyone know of a good place to send it for a CLA? Also, I would like to find an instruction manual for it, a pdf would be fine. If you happen to know of a website with that manual, I would love to know of it.
    Thanks,
    Matt (the too eager eBayer...)
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Vito B is similar to the Vito CLR, which is the only version I know with an online instruction manual, here: http://www.marriottcameras.co.uk/ins...thpictures.htm

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Essex quotes $90 for the repair. KEH might be cheaper, but you will have to Email them. You might be able to find someone cheaper, but chances are the repair will run more than the camera cost.

If you can get to the shutter, often treating with Ronsonol (lighter Fluid) or 99% Isopropyl Alchohol will fix it up. Works two out of three times for my old cameras.

Sometimes just exercising the mechanism will spark them back to life.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Are you sure...

..the shutter is frozen? Did you try loading film and seeing if the shutter would fire? Just operating the film advance lever does not cock the shutter and allow you to fire it.
    I have a Vito B, look here to see pics:
    http://www.pbase.com/dave85/voigt200
    If it's the same as yours and you have any questions let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Hi all--
    I just got a Voigtlander Vito B, unfortunately the seller neglected to mention that the shutter is frozen solid. Anyhoo, does anyone know of a good place to send it for a CLA? Also, I would like to find an instruction manual for it, a pdf would be fine. If you happen to know of a website with that manual, I would love to know of it.
    Thanks,
    Matt (the too eager eBayer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Matt,

Try this: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/voigtla...df_manuals.htm

Good luck.

Dimitri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOttawa View Post
    ..the shutter is frozen? Did you try loading film and seeing if the shutter would fire? Just operating the film advance lever does not cock the shutter and allow you to fire it.
    I have a Vito B, look here to see pics:
    http://www.pbase.com/dave85/voigt200
    If it's the same as yours and you have any questions let me know.
    With film in the camera you can press the shutter release button down, but the iris stays shut no matter what. Not surprising, given it's age and all.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sorry to hear that, I had high hopes for you after reading that tidbit! Some of my Kodak 35mm's only work with film in them.

Check around for a quote from a shop. If not, I had a Kodak Retina IIIc with a stuck shutter repaired by an Ebay seller that goes by "WWMARK". He only charged $25 for the work. I'm sure he "flood" cleaned the shutter back to operation, but also cleaned the VF etc. That was four years ago. He is still on Ebay. Worth a shot, and cheaper than a regular repair shop. AGAIN: he does this as a sideline, in his home.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

not so simple then...

I'm sorry to hear that too, maybe not a simple problem, hope you do get it fixed though or get another working example, the viewfinder on mine isn't great but the lens is actually quite good so you can get nice prints from them.

Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    With film in the camera you can press the shutter release button down, but the iris stays shut no matter what. Not surprising, given it's age and all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the tips and links everyone! It's funny, even not working I have already become attached to this camera. It's VERY comfy to hold, etc. I hope to get a good CLA on it soon so it can be up and running. Dave--those pics of your Vito are super cool! Any chance you might want to scan the manual at some point? Anyway, I'll keep you all posted on the progress. I have one other interesting older camera on the way--a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex with 3 lenses. Ebay fun (hopefully working next time!)
    Adios,
    Matt
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Pick up a Vito CLR next, Matt. The rangefinder is nice.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin