Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,983   Online: 858

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, my Nikkor-O 35/2 is no contender for small size and light weight compared to my Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 for the Nikon RF's!

I like the Canon 35/2.8 on a Leica CL for a setup. The combo is about the same size and weight as my Nikkor-UD 20mm F3.5.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like 35mm too, however on my R2 I was finding my CV35/2.5PII a little wider than the framelines than I liked so I opted for the 40mm 1.4 Nokton instead on the same body. I really wanted to keep the pancake, but I'm just too anal about those sort of things
    Derrick

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    I think the 35mm is my favourite lens on a rangefinder.

It lets you move a step or two closer to the subject than the 50mm and gives a nice working distance between the subject and the shooter.

This is a quick snap of my wife with the Zeiss Ikon with the 35mm. I find this lens length the most natural with a rangefinder camera.

Most likely about F5.6. Shot on XP2 and scanned from neg.

-Rob
    I suppose if I were limited to one lens, it would probably be my 35mm 'cron on my M7. But for street shooting I prefer a longer FL, like the 50mm, and I'm really lusting after the 75mm 'cron. Someday.

BTW, you didn't request a critique, but I'll volunteer the following. The image appears to be overly sharpened. I would also have bumped up the contrast and chose a different black point from the image.

BTW2, I've decided that XP2 400 will be my standard. I like the way it scans, and I like the convenience of the C41 process and Digital ICE.

Here is a shot on XP2 with the 90mm 'cron:

http://www.pbase.com/hlockwood/image/81606673

Harry

I think the 35 is to take a picture of a person in their environment and the 50 is to take a picture of a person.

I prefer a 50 (and would honestly prefer the 75mm more) but often use a 35 for depth of field and angle of view considerations. The 35 is just such a damn versatile lens.

One aspect of the 35 that I don't like is that it gives you a point and shoot look (maybe I should call that a view camera look, so as not to denigrate our equipment), i.e., everything is in focus near to far. Using the lens wide open helps in that regard.

Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I qute a newcomer into street photography, but figure I prefer this kind of shooting with 50mm rather then 35mm FL, often I do with 90mm as well. 50mm is glued to my M6, while 90mm is one to shoot through on my M3.
    Having said that, shooting indoors (family, friends, etc...) I often notice 50mm is a bit too long forcing me to back off for beter composition, so I figure 35mm FL for indoors would probably be more convenient. Also, chances I'd prefer 35mm FL for urban architecture (as opposite to 50mm/90mm combo for street life)...
    Probably time will come soon to consider 35mm ZM Biogon...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have 35mm and 75mm for my Bessa R2A, and I find myself more and more to use 75mm, in last few weeks I used it more than 35mm. For street life. I guess it is not lens issue but personality issue, I still think if I get myself with 35mm in front of someone face, I will be in truble... Not happened so far, but when one have low confidence in himself, then... But, then again, I recently photographed mostly social life around one mosque, and tried to keep respectfull distance between me and subjects, especially females, so I used mostly 75mm. Not that I hide myself, they see me photographing them, but I don't want them to feel like I am invading their private space.

But, 35mm is much easier to use, focus and compose than 75mm for me, even if I find it little small (PII version).

So, 75mm for cowards and 35mm or wider for brave photographers, I guess
    Last edited by haris; 08-26-2007 at 03:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can have a pretty good day shooting with just the 35mm & 75mm on a rf.

Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rpsawin View Post
    You can have a pretty good day shooting with just the 35mm on a rf.

Actually, you can have a pretty good life shooting with just the 35mm on a rf. If I could have only one camera and one lens, that's what the combination would be. For 35mm photography I very rarely use anything longer than 50 or shorter than 28, and I use the 35 focal length more than all others combined.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by rpsawin View Post

Bob
    Seconded. My ideal combination: 35 Summilux on one body, 75 Summicron on the other.

Wish I could afford 2x MP to put 'em on.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

rml

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Let me voice a different sound. I don't like 35mm at all. I prefer 50mm, and like 25mm when the situation calls for wiiiiide.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin