Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,073   Online: 940

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like this little model:

50mm is about your usual attentive field of view from ONE eye.
    35mm is about the attentive field of view from BOTH eyes.

Anything wider (I favor 28mm as my usual lens) means something that wither requires back and forth eye movement or viewing through the finder. It thus has an extra element of abstraction.

Anything longer means a deliberate restriction of view.

Accepting such a model implies that "normal" is a fuzzy and individual notion (and thus when I hear people arguing about whether a 43mm or 45mm is a more "true" normal... I gotta laugh).

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Right now I have a C Sonnar 50/1.5 on my Zeiss Ikon body with a CV 28/3.5 and a CV 90/3.5 in my bag. I am pretty much in RF heaven. But a 35mm would be nice.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use both 35mm and 50mm Summicrons about equally on my Leicas. Those two focal lengths just seem natural to virtually every situation. Sometimes, I will use a 21mm but it is seldom. I haven't used my 90mm in so long, when I last tried it neither of my Leicas wanted to bring up the framelines until I fiddled with them.

I recently became enamoured of Kiev rangefinders. They are fun and cheap and I like both those factors. I somehow have managed to accumulate more than a half dozen 50mm lenses for the Kievs (cheap, remember?). I was disappointed in the only 35mm I bought so I have another on order. I've been using a Leitz 5cm auxillary finder on one body and a Canon 35mm auxillary finder on a second body, zone focusing and estimating exposures. It's "down and dirty" photography.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin