Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,974   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Four new lenses for Leica M mount

Not too much information is available yet but Leica has four new lenses for their M rangefinder lineup. All coded to work with the M8 digi.

They should be shipping in Nov.

90mm F2.5 Summarit around 1250 Euro

75mm F2.5 Summarit around 1250 Euro

50mm F2.5 Summarit around 1000 Euro

35mm F2.5 Summarit around 1250 Euro
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is a Summarit?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    f2.5 ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last edited by Fotohuis; 08-03-2007 at 02:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added original (German) press release

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Skeoch View Post
    Not too much information is available yet but Leica has four new lenses for their M rangefinder lineup. All coded to work with the M8 digi.

They should be shipping in Nov.

90mm F2.5 Summarit around 1250 Euro

75mm F2.5 Summarit around 1250 Euro

50mm F2.5 Summarit around 1000 Euro

35mm F2.5 Summarit around 1250 Euro
    so?

is this an ad?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post
    so?

is this an ad?
    No, it's news, big news actually, and if it wasn't for the OP I would have missed it.

Leica doesn't introduce a new lens evey year, so any new lens from them is news as far as I am concerned.
    Leica introducing no less than four new lenses at the same time is big news, and when these lenses are in the US$ 1000 to 1250 price range (about half of what one would expect a Leica lens to cost) it is truly remarkable. I am happy that Leica Camera AG isn't dead yet, as many predicted.

This means overtime for Erwin Puts, I guess....
    Last edited by vanspaendonck; 08-03-2007 at 03:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In that press release Leica Camera also say that with the release of those lenses they start a "campaign to focus more on their core competence in optics manufacture".

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Seems like this is Leica's response to CZ's new ZM lenses.

The translated press release is kind of confusing. Says the new lenses were developed in Germany and so carry the "larva in Germany" designation. Can't quite figure out what would be the correct synonym for "larva"* - could mean "made". But does that mean manufactured there?

I wonder where these new lenses are actually being made?

* "larva" as used in English is an immature, pre-adult, stage of an insect's life span - suggesting perhaps these lenses while "designed" in Germany are not being built there?
    Last edited by copake_ham; 08-03-2007 at 09:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Summarit was originally Leica's 5cm F1.5 lens based on the 5cm F1.5 Xenon, which was built under license to Taylor, Taylor and Hobbs. I've seen it stated that it was "just a coated Xenon" and I've read in Morgan and Lester that it was an improvement over the original Xenon. It is a fine performer, and has a "interesting Different" look. The 5cm F1.5 Xenon and Summarit are a 7-element in 5 group lenses that took the original 6/4 Xenon rear most element and split it into two lenses each of lower power (source: Neblette, "Photographic Lenses"). The "classic" Summarit evolved into the Summilux.

Leica resurrected the Summarit name for the Minilux a few years ago, but it was an F2.4 lens and was back to the classic 6/4 configuration. It performed like a Summarit, just not as fast.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Seems like this is Leica's response to CZ's new ZM lenses.

The translated press release is kind of confusing. Says the new lenses were developed in Germany and so carry the "larva in Germany" designation. Can't quite figure out what would be the correct synonym for "larva"* - could mean "made". But does that mean manufactured there?

I wonder where these new lenses are actually being made?

* "larva" as used in English is an immature, pre-adult, stage of an insect's life span - suggesting perhaps these lenses while "designed" in Germany are not being built there?

Copake Ham,

You should have resorted to some foreign language dictionaries before:
    the English perfect `made´ is identical to the German noun `Made´ which can be translated as `larva´...

You really should not trust that translator any longer.

In that press release quoted in the Photoscala magazine Leica Camera states that these new lenses are designed in Germany and are handmade in Solms nearby Wetzlar.

(I assume that "handmade" is a matter of perspective...)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin