Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,142   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    It looks terribly like the flare I get from one of my Helios-103 1.8/52 lenses on a Kiev mount. Always in the same place, and quite impossible to predict from the observed image in the viewfinder.

Have a good look and check there isn't any delamination of any of the elements in the lens. Could be it needs some black paint judiciously applied to one of the groups.

Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the additional ideas, folks. I'll look at the back and the way it fits once again. How do I check for lens delamination?

--Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've checked your image. For a light leak the shape a bit too irregular. Try this: without a film advance the lever, turn and push the lens in. Then check the rear lens element: any scratch on it? Even if it is a tiny one it could be the reason. Scratches or a hair on the rear lens element can cause the weirdest effects if the light is at a certain position during exposure. In your case the irregularity should be located between 7 to 8 o clock when the lens is retracted.
    Don't dream your life - live your dream.
    I'm using FILM because nature isn't made of squares.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Diverting attention, however briefly, from the Leica discussion…

After Toyota Designer's post I went back and took another look at the rear element of the lens. At first glance it looked pristine. But, held at a certain angle, I could see little bits of gunk in several places. There is, as suggested above, a tiny deposit at about 7:00; there's also stuff at 11:00 and more just left of center. I should emphasize that the deposits are barely visible, but I suppose it is possible that they are causing the problem I'm seeing. In any case, I'll try cleaning this up (any hints on how to do it without scratching the lens?) and hope that solves the problem.

--Ben

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin