Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,040   Online: 1127

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    The Cosina/Voigtlander camera gear is much less expensive to purchase than Leica brand RFDR gear. Much, much less expensive. The quality of the lenses (sharpness, resolution) is much closer to Leica standards than one would think, considering the purchase cost of the lenses. Of course they are not built to the same mechanical standards, but by golly, they are good lenses. I have almost all of them. Never had a problem, but even if there are problems from time-to-time, you still come out ahead financially over purchasing Leica lenses. Even Leica lenses can have "issues" from time-to-time. The Cosina/Voigtlander LTM AND "M" MOUNT lenses are much more robust than the average crop of consumer digital SLR LENSES.
    Seconded.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agree with remarks about lenses, but feel that the bodies are a little fragile (arguably still good value for money). I'm a little steamed up right now because I just sold a Bessa R2a on e-bay which I had owned for a short time and shot only 2 rolls of film with. Buyer has just contact me to say he can see a faint stray frame line in the viewfinder and a very small chip in the corner of the v/f cover glass. If these faults are present at all, they were there when I bought the camera, but, hey ho, I'm giving him a refund! The reason I was selling this and another R2a was the feeling that came over me that I'd rather have Leica M2s (in today's market, no dearer than new Bessas) and that I'd like to unload my Bessas before problems emerge. There does seem to be a consensus that Bessa rangefinders are a little delicate and are likely to succumb to relatively minor shock trauma!

Shooter
    35mm
    ...but feel that the bodies are a little fragile (arguably still good value for money).
    The FM2 sold for about roughly the same price when the R2/R2A/R2M first came out. I would say that the Nikon body is ten times the body of those R's. Although I got a deal on the R2, it didn't take me long to find out that it was a mistake buying it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    The FM2 sold for about roughly the same price when the R2/R2A/R2M first came out. I would say that the Nikon body is ten times the body of those R's. Although I got a deal on the R2, it didn't take me long to find out that it was a mistake buying it.
    Within 6 months of the introduction of the FM2/FE2, I had three customers who had the new high speed shutter "explode" on them. This was from a sample of perhaps a couple of hundred sold from that shop. Nikon refused warranty repair on all of them, citing in sequence on a single camera: sand grains in the shutter, coke spilled in the shutter mechanism, and a professional wedding photographer's thumb having gone through the shutter from the back while halfway through a roll of film. It was only after the high volume dealer that I worked for got a promise from the local sales rep that he would personally guarantee those shutters that we kept stocking them. You could clearly hear the sales rep screaming at the repair people through two closed doors. Nikon never admitted a problem. Obviously this problem was either spotty or worked out in later production. I also spoke with the local Nikon warranty repair shop, who told me they'd never seen those shutters at 1/4000 test out any faster than 1/2500.

Anecdotal evidence is what it is. You are judging the Bessas from a sample of one, plus selected negative internet reports. Have you run statistics on all internet reports on Bessas, positive and negative? Have you done any sample biasing to account for the fact that people who are unhappy are much more likely to sound off on internet fora? If I had judged all Nikons from the sample of early production FM2/FE2's that I saw, I'd have concluded that the brand was entirely unreliable, with about a 1% catastrophic failure rate within 6 months (never covered under warranty) and didn't perform to spec. That's obviously not the case.

As for comparing prices, the inflation adjusted price of an early 80's FM2 would be significantly more than a current Bessa.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    As for comparing prices, the inflation adjusted price of an early 80's FM2 would be significantly more than a current Bessa.

Lee
    When the FM2n were still being sold, it and the R2 were roughly the same price. Go figure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin