Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,867   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Screw mounts are bottom loading. You need to take off the bottom, take out the take up spool, load the film into it and work it all back into the camera. Not fast.

Some Leica screw mounts links that I found incredibly useful :

http://www.cameraquest.com/ltmcam.htm
    http://www.cameraquest.com/ltmlens.htm
    http://www.cameraquest.com/rfbuy.htm
    http://www.cameraquest.com/rflench.htm

I love my Leicas -LOVE them ! - but a Bessa is a great shooter and more user friendly for me.

Have fun.

Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually, I just took a look at the page about Leica screw mount cameras and apparently they do have a viewfinder, but it is separate from the range finder. The Bessa T doesn't have a viewfinder - you need an external viewfinder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    US repair shops:

Don Goldberg http://www.dagcamera.com/

Sherry Krauter http://www.sherrykrauter.com/

Both factory trained and with decades of experience. Both come very highly recommended. Sherry used to train people around the world for E. Leitz. I have only used Don on the one CLA (to an SLR) that I've needed.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Actually, I just took a look at the page about Leica screw mount cameras and apparently they do have a viewfinder, but it is separate from the range finder. The Bessa T doesn't have a viewfinder - you need an external viewfinder.
    You're right about the T - the IIIf follows Leitz's usual system of model designations:
    If - no viewfinder or rangefinder
    IIf - viewfinder and rangefinder, no slow speeds
    IIIf - all the comforts of home! (viewfinder, rangefinder, slow speeds)
    Same system applies to c cameras (Ic, IIc, IIIc, all of which have no flash contact, or least didn't have when they left the factoiry).

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forget about the screwmount Leicas if you want a useable camera.They are great for nostalgia and their small size, but for taking pictures... I am surprised no one has mentioned the Canons yet. I have a Canon 7 and it is a great camera. It will cost you about the same or less than a Leica screwmount or Bessa, and it is a far better camera. And I mean it is better by leaps and bounds. Easy loading, great viewfinder and super smoooth. It is as nice as my late model M3 which is supposed to be the best Leica ever made. You should be able to pick one up for under $200.

Patrick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    Forget about the screwmount Leicas if you want a useable camera.They are great for nostalgia and their small size, but for taking pictures... I am surprised no one has mentioned the Canons yet. I have a Canon 7 and it is a great camera. It will cost you about the same or less than a Leica screwmount or Bessa, and it is a far better camera. And I mean it is better by leaps and bounds. Easy loading, great viewfinder and super smoooth. It is as nice as my late model M3 which is supposed to be the best Leica ever made. You should be able to pick one up for under $200.

Patrick
    Hmm - you know I looked into getting a Canon 7 a while back. The thing that turned me off was the fact that the Canon 7 lacks an accessory shoe and they're hard to find and expensive. The Canon 7s does have an accessory shoe, but they are much more expensive - $400.00 to $500.00. Also, I decided that if I get a rangefinder, I would be better off with an M mount camera. Ultimately I decided that I just couldn't justify the outlay for a rangefinder system when I already have a pretty extensive Nikon SLR system, so I opted to just get a Canonet QL-17 as a camera to keep in my car.
    To be honest, I really like the Canonet - It's smalle, light and super quiet. The only downside is the fixed lens. I am now considering replacing it with a Leica CL or CLE with a 40mm and a 75 or 90mm lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    [QUOTE=snegron;519657]. . . Jim, why does it have two shutter speed dials?
    , , , QUOTE]

The shutter speed dial on the top of the camera controlled the shutter slit width for speeds from 1/20 or 1/30 second and up. The shutter speed dial on the front controlled the delay between opening the first shutter curtain and closing the second curtain for speeds down to one second. When this system first appeared in 1933 it was innovative enough that probably few photographers objected. Leica was a very conservative company, and didn't change to single speed dials for about 20 years. After all, compared to the Speed Graphic cameras of that time, the Leica was very simple to use.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The two most practical bodies are the
    Canon P
    M4-2
    Both are fast handling slick machimes with superb viewfinders, and will accept any LTM lens, the M4-2 needs the LTM to M adapter.
    The most practical lens is the
    J12 (35mm) for the M4-2, the exception the J12 probably wont fit most Canon VI-T, VI-L or P's
    Canon f/2.8 for the P
    get a beaten up shooter...
    if you only use a 35mm the VI-T is really slick trigger wind.

Noel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post

Patrick
    I own and have used screw mount and M series Leicas, and Canon P and 7. The Canons have some conveniences lacking in older Leicas. However, when wide open my Canon 50mm f/1.4 compares poorly with the 50mm Summicron. My Leica M4 has performed well for 37 years while the slightly older Canons have long sat on a shelf. When using both bodies, the Leica is noticably smoother.

Both Canon and Leica were capable of fine photographs when properly used. Canon was sometimes more innovative than Leica, while Leica persisted in great craftsmanship and conservative design. Condition is everything. A Canon 7 in top condition is certainbly preferable to a Leica that has been beat or used to death like my IIIf.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    If $ are an issue, how about a Zorki IV Leica-clone? With a 50mm 2.0 it's $50 or so and if you like the experience you could always mount the lens on an M later. The M's are at a low $-wise as are the III so you'll never lose much if any $ on them.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin