Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,316   Online: 1216

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    thanks for the information. The only problem is that I don't know of any camera shops near me that carry these old rangefinders, So I am limited to either ebay or KEH - makes it difficult to try the camera before buying it. If money were no object, I'd just get a Leica, but that's too expensive. So, if you had to buy one before trying it out, which would you choose?
    Dan
    Dan
    Difficult.
    You might not like the rangefinder, it is like having a tunnel entrance and exit in front of one. You need to go on a forum outing with a Canon user, and fondle, try orgainising a local outing.
    A forum member you trust, my VL-L, he was cautious in his description.
    Brick camera shop for my P good returns policy, perfect body and lens.
    You lens usage and specs, if you use 35mm and specs then the frame is tight with a P, keeping both eyes open is impossible for lots of people. The frame is tighter then a M2.
    If you use 5cm the either VI-x (x= L or T) or P are ok.
    The P and VI-x competed with the M2 and M3 head on in late 50s, they are good cameras.
    If you dont use specs then the bottom plate trigger of the VI-T, is real fast for a 35mm, holding the camera and firing fast is difficult with the trigger, shaks is easier (less apparent with a 35).
    I prefer the P for the 35mm and the VI-L for the 5cm, specs, but I use both eyes.
    Hope this helps a little - Cameraquest have a good site, they have new CV LTM lenses as well, the Canons should be cheaper, even in good condition.
    Noel
    The P frame is tighter then a M2 because the magnification of the P is higher, lots of people like that.
    Last edited by Xmas; 09-13-2007 at 01:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: P.S. added

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I think eBay from a reputable seller that knows their stuff and allows for refunds might be the way to go. I've paid a little more than $200 for each of my Leica bodies and have had no problems. Add a Jupiter 8 and youre in for $250 or less.

Ritzcam has some on sale at various prices that are far less than B&H (my local source) and they allow for a 7 day return.

http://www.collectiblecameras.com/ca...?category_id=3
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post

Ritzcam has some on sale at various prices that are far less than B&H (my local source) and they allow for a 7 day return.

http://www.collectiblecameras.com/ca...?category_id=3
    i bought a 1/2 frame pen FT from ritz.
    they are good folks, and if i had the $$$$
    i would not hesitate to buy from them again!

if you go russian-clone-route,
    some zorki have light leaks, so get a seal-kit too ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never used a Leica, heard they were OK...

Zorkis? I have two fours, the first roll through both of them with a Jupiter 50mm lens was great. In each the rewind hangs up and you can't put a second roll through unless you hit the right combination of needle nose pliers, small flat screwdriver, and luck.

Now I also have a Zorki 1. You need to trim the film leader, just like a Leica. It has all the same knobs as a single speed control Leica. Looks like a Leica, feels like a Leica. And it takes nice photos with the Industar 50mm lens on it. I would like to try a Leica 35mm lens on it someday. So why don't I put the Jupiter lens on it? It's ugly as sin that way and the leather case doesn't close.

Get a Leica III.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In about 1970 my girlfriend wanted a cheap, reliable, manual camera. For GBP 20 she bought Leica no. 23010, a II conversion.

After a while she wanted it back so I bought a IIIa no. 229 589 which I still have.

Since then I have owned A, I, II, III, IIIa, IIIb, IIIc, IIIf, IIIg, M2, M3, M4-P, MP, M8. Also various Zorkiis, Feds, Canons, Leningrads, Reids, Voigtlanders (L-R-T-R2-R2S) Corfields, Zeiss Ikons and Yashica/Nicca, even an Ilford Witness. And I have borrowed other Canons, Voigtlanders and Leicas B, FF/GG, M1, M6ttl, M7. That's not counting RF cameras with other mounts (Kiev/Contax, even Hensoldt).

Yes, screw Leicas are cheaper. But on the basis of extensive experience, I'd say the following:

Buy an M-mount. New Leica M for preference; used (non-metered) M or (metered) ZI or Voigtlander as second choice; used Voigtlander as third choice.

Screw Leicas are gorgeous but now VERY old. My 1936 IIIa has been to several good repairers with bad results: it's simply worn out. Sure, later (or less hard-worked) screw-mounts are better, but an M ain't that much bigger, or that much more expensive, and I know which I'd rather have.

Cheers,

Roger
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have Leica screwmount, Russian Leica Clones, Leica "M" mount cameras and Cosina/Voigtlander cameras. The original Leica screwmount cameras are wonderful, little jewels of cameras, that take spectatularly good images once you get familiar with them. They are not hard to use at all, just somewhat different from late model SLR cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the feedback! I guess I need to do much more research before I make the purchase. I would really like an M series Leica, but the prices are double or sometimes triple over screwmount Leicas. Even the M3's are still high priced, especially the single stroke models.

Unfortunately I live in an area with no local camera shops (only the Ritz Camera stores at the mall and the oldest cameras they have are the digi-offerings of last month). I am limited to mail order, so I am probably going to purchase from KEH as usual.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be advised I have never ordered from these folks but they are reputed to be an excellent source of older photo equipment. Here's a link:
    http://www.collectiblecameras.com/

Their inventory, listed on the web and downloadable, is impressive.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin