Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,678   Online: 990

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One good reason to buy a Leica is that Leica rangefinders have a longer baseline than your Bessa. This allows you to accurately focus longer/faster lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [quote=temujin;520569i am just questioning why one should pay such exorbitant prices for a leica body when cheaper camera models will do the same job. [/quote]

Reliability! Sure, when your lesser camera craps out, you can get another one, meanwhile, you missed the shot, maybe lots of good photos than cannot be re-shot. Cameras in this class are the choice of Pro's because then need the picture. However, amateur may only need the prestige. Or, may value their own work at a much higher degree than others.

Like jumping out of a plane with a parachute, you got only one chance to get it right. Cost is not an object.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Reliability! Sure, when your lesser camera craps out, you can get another one, meanwhile, you missed the shot, maybe lots of good photos than cannot be re-shot. Cameras in this class are the choice of Pro's because then need the picture. However, amateur may only need the prestige. Or, may value their own work at a much higher degree than others.

Like jumping out of a plane with a parachute, you got only one chance to get it right. Cost is not an object.
    Oh please... - Do you really think Leica's are the only reliable cameras made?

jbj

Shooter
    Large Format
    The lenses. Especially the Noctilux f1.0 and a few of the others look really nice...if only I had 4K - 10K in pocket change and enough for a Bessa body to use it with....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    The Leica rangefinder is the extremely rare confluence of the mechanical, optical, ergonometric and aesthetic. The Leica rangefinder is the only camera with a soul. If you don't understand that, then don't buy one.
    I am sure you misspoke. You
    really meant to say that a
    Rolleiflex is the only camera
    with a soul. Didn't you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    The Leica rangefinder is the extremely rare confluence of the mechanical, optical, ergonometric and aesthetic. The Leica rangefinder is the only camera with a soul. If you don't understand that, then don't buy one.

Take care,
    Tom

P.S. Unlike the Bessa, they are also made by little elves in the Black Forest.
    Tom, I liked your reply best, particularly the "P.S." part.

temujin, perhaps consider simply purchasing an M-something with a lens or two and if you like the experience keep it and be one with it. If you don't like it or think Leica is not worth it, you can always sell and get your money back.

Marc

P.S. If you buy & then sell a Leica, do expect a visit from one of those aforementioned elves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    Oh please... - Do you really think Leica's are the only reliable cameras made?
    Did you read question, asked about Lecia.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Leica is a camera that grows on you, gains ever greater sentimental value. I haven't inherited it yet, because my father hasn't given it to me, but I have a Leica M3 that my dad bought new in Copenhagen in 1956. It's travelled with him thereafter, wherever he went. About 5 years ago, his eyesight started failing badly. He is not a self-pitying person, but one day he took his Leica out and said sadly "I can't use it anymore, I can't see enough". I had never been interested in photography up to that point, but somehow on a whim I asked him whether I could borrow it, try it out, put it to some use. He agreed, a little reluctantly. I've had it ever since (it's not mine though!) and it's opened the door into my visual imagination. I'm very grateful to the camera, and to my dad. I treasure that camera, and shall look after it with tender loving care so that I can give it to my own son or daughter when the time comes. I hope film is still made then. If not, they'll have to make their own. So you see, I love my dad's old Leica -- of course, if it had been a Nikon or a Canon or a Bessa, I would have loved that. As if, when it came to buying a camera, my dad would have bought anything other than a Leica!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's a bit like religion. If you have to ask, you won't understand.

Nor are the accessories especially expensive. I use Artisan and Artist straps on my Leicas, because I prefer them to Leica's straps. They are, I believe, even more expensive. That's what it costs to buy the best. And if you think Leicas are expensive, check out Alpa's prices: www.alpa.ch.

Can you see a difference between Leica and Voigtländer lenses? As someone else said, very rarely, though some lenses do seem to deliver 'magic' pictures more than others, the 75/2 Summicron among them.

I'll second the point about the camera being more than a light-tight box, though: it has to be a light-tight box that you enjoy using. I use Leica, Voigtländer and Zeiss lenses on mine. My favourite lines are 35/1.4 Summilux (pre-aspheric -- the 35/1.7 Voigtländer delivers better results, but isn't as sweet to use), 50/1.5 Sonnar (the current one, objectively far inferior to a Summicron but I prefer the look it gives) and 75/2 Summicron aspheric, which is just pure magic. If I could afford one, I'd buy the new 16-18-21 Tri-Elmar too, not so much for myself but for my wife who fell in love with it.

I started using screw Leicas in about 1969-70; I still have the first I bought, a 1936 IIIa that cost me thirty quid, but it's pretty much worn out. I started using Ms in about 1974. I've had two new ones in that time (M4-P and MP) and I also have two old ones, both M2. Amortised across the last third of a century, with maybe another 20 years to go (who knows?) I reckon I've had more value for money out of Leicas than out of most things I've ever bought.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Svend Videbak View Post
    So you see, I love my dad's old Leica -- of course, if it had been a Nikon or a Canon or a Bessa, I would have loved that. As if, when it came to buying a camera, my dad would have bought anything other than a Leica!
    See!

That's the difference. My Old Man bought an Argus C-4.

Genes.

tim in san jose (proud owner of an Argus C-4.)
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin