Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,850   Online: 716

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2428293031323334

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    View cameras need tripods, little M/F cameras are as quick and easy to operate as a 35mm range finder camera.
    There's a guy shoots street portraits on a hand-held 10 x 8" Deardorff. Got biceps like Arnie too I bet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've always dreamed of owning a Hermes edition in Ostrich leather. A perfect match with my Ostrich cowboy boots and belt!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    View cameras need tripods, little M/F cameras are as quick and easy to operate as a 35mm range finder camera.
    Please define "LITTLE" M/F cameras and one that is as easy and quick to operate as a Leica M.

Shooter
    35mm
    All Leica's are exceptionally well made cameras that just "feel good" in the hands of the user. The early M models are unmatched as rangefinders in my view. The M2, M3, and M4 are all amazing cameras that grow on you. The M3 DS is the finest rangefinder I've ever touched. These are not that expensive compared with newer cameras of the same caliber.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    OK, Press Camera.

Anyway, when you slip you Hassy in your pocket, is it noticeable?
    I don't have a Hassy, It's a Mamiya, and It's noticeable but only when I'm pleased to see Ya.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I traded my Leica a few weeks ago and I don't miss it very much.

Having read so much great stuff about Leicas online for years and in magazines before that, my experience has been one of being underwhelmed most of the time. I tried hard to love the Leica but when I shot with the thing there was little practical difference between it and any of my other cameras - except they have simpler film loading designs and built in meters. One good thing was that they seem to hold their value, in fact I may have made a slight profit. So farewell Leica, it wasn't for me.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying one would be to try and borrow or rent one if you can as the hype can be seductive and the camera may not live up to the heightened expectations.
    Steve.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    My thoughts are largely as per the last comment. I have a 1935 Leica III. With an engineering background, I appreciate the workmanship that went into manufacturing it and no doubt it was a radical and convenient design in its day compared to the opposing manufacturers' offerings and formats. I view mine much as I view an Austin Ruby compared to a Ford Mondeo - the Ruby might be fun to take out from time to time for a drive over the moors when the mood takes me and I'm not in a rush, but if I was headed up the motorway, I'd go for the Mondeo.

I bought my Leica when I was feeling a bit flush and stumped up for a full service, which included re-coating a couple of the Summitar's elements. It's nice to have what is undoubtedly a photographic icon, but by no means essential and IMHO there are a lot of much more modern cameras out there that can produce equally good results much more conveniently in packages not much bigger and at far less cost.

Steve (as well)

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to stop into Camera West in Monterey and I always enjoyed looking at the vast Leica collection at the store. They moved out around Palm Springs so I will most likely not see many Leica camera's from now on. I shoot Nikons myself and see no reason to start up another lengthy spending spree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    The Leica rangefinder is the extremely rare confluence of the mechanical, optical, ergonometric and aesthetic. The Leica rangefinder is the only camera with a soul. If you don't understand that, then don't buy one.

Take care,
    Tom

P.S. Unlike the Bessa, they are also made by little elves in the Black Forest.
    What he said.

With some careful shopping, you can get a nice clean used M6 classic (no TTL, please) or an M4P (no M4, please) and a 50mm or 35mm Summicron for somewhere between the cost of a Nikon D300s and a D700.

You will have also avoided all the digital hoopla. There will be no two hours per image of slaving away at your computer (there's that legendary "digital speed and convenience," LOL) trying to produce an image that one frame of Velvia or Tri-X and a Leica will produce in 1/125th of a second.

In the end, you will end up with prints at 11x14 or even larger that will blow away inkjet prints. Of course, a Nikon D3x with a 24.5mp full frame sensor will produce tack sharp barn sized prints - but so what?? For $7400US, it should.

Then again, how many barn sized prints does a person need? How many can they sell?

Do yourself a favor - take five minutes to read this essay on the Leica M cameras - it will give you a new perspective on why people are so dedicated to these cameras and lenses:
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...e-a-leica.html

An excerpt -
    ...A used M6 goes for between $1000 to $1200, give or take, and won't depreciate much (if at all) in a year. How much interest would your bank give you right now for keeping that grand parked in a savings account for that period of time? I don't know if you've checked interest rates recently, but the answer is "not very much." At the end of the year you'll lose maybe $100, counting shipping and Ebay fees and lost bank interest, maybe $200 if you're unlucky and/or impatient. Dave Terrell recounts, in the comments to the previous post, how he used some Leica gear for four years and came out $140 ahead.

The same has been true for me. I've owned three Leicas at various times over the years, and I made money on two of them. Not much, but the upshot was that the three together ended up not costing me a dime to own and shoot with for a while. Not a dime. (Wish I could say the same for my digital cameras, which have collectively depreciated more than enough to cover a nice Leica and a good lens.)
    Last edited by lensworker; 09-11-2010 at 02:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin