Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,536   Online: 919

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The new print New Yorker was in my mailbox this evening.

The Leica story is at the back of the magazine. It prints the yellow Leica ad full-page and also has a couple of snaps from Elliot Erwitt, G Winogrand, and A Rodchenko (Winogrand is also represented earlier in the mag, in the gallery listings).

This is the STYLE issue.

When the author stated that he first desired a Leica after seeing Henry Fonda with one, I knew what this article was about. Camera as luxury item, part of the same sad cult parade of fashion and celebrity that pollutes most of the ad space (and in the Style issue, the editorial space). It's lovely ad copy, but it could just as easily be about Maserati, Pucci, or Versace. Oh, wait -- that's the rest of the issue.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KB • PhotoRant • PhotoPermit • APUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ah the STYLE issue--an unfortunate vestige of the Tina Brown years--but I suppose that once it became a regular feature (it coincides with Fashion Week in New York) they couldn't forgo the ad revenue. At least they try to be intelligent about it.

Bear in mind that even if Tina Brown did allow scent strips into _The New Yorker_, she did also introduce photography into the magazine and hired Richard Avedon as the first staff photographer.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    The new print New Yorker was in my mailbox this evening.

The Leica story is at the back of the magazine. It prints the yellow Leica ad full-page and also has a couple of snaps from Elliot Erwitt, G Winogrand, and A Rodchenko (Winogrand is also represented earlier in the mag, in the gallery listings).

This is the STYLE issue.

When the author stated that he first desired a Leica after seeing Henry Fonda with one, I knew what this article was about. Camera as luxury item, part of the same sad cult parade of fashion and celebrity that pollutes most of the ad space (and in the Style issue, the editorial space). It's lovely ad copy, but it could just as easily be about Maserati, Pucci, or Versace. Oh, wait -- that's the rest of the issue.
    You know, some people can't deal with the fact that you can still buy a brand new Leica but you can't buy a brand new Contax G2...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Heh.

BTW, he doesn't know how to use the D-Lux either. You don't see a picture and THEN turn it on, you use it the way he described using the M8 -- in your hand, ready to go. The beauty of the D-Lux/LX is that you CAN use it that way, unlike any other small digi I've seen.

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I recall when I used to live about 30 minutes away from the Leica factory in (West) Germany, just west of Giessen - I believe Leica was in Wetzlar at the time. I stopped in a few times, just walked in. They had a mini-museum in the front lobby. The receptionist asked us if we were there to see anyone and we said no we just dropped in and we would like to look at the museum. In the US, secutiry would probably run you off but instead she asked us what Leica gear we used. My girlfriend owned a fabulous V35 enlarger. The receptionist made a call and someone in a white lab coat came out and met us and gave us a spontaneous tour of the offices where they designed the V35.

It was quite nostalgic reading the article. I'm going to print it out and hang on to it. I miss the enlarger......

Thanks.

-R

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ... part of the same sad cult parade of fashion and celebrity that pollutes most of the ad space (and in the Style issue, the editorial space)...
    Don't knock it. If Leicas become fashionable again they'll sell more and those of us who use them can continue to use them. The fashionistas subsidize the users -- fine.

Likewise ads. I'm not sure how you can 'pollute' ad space, which helps keep the cover price of mags down.

Sure, there were errors, and the article was self-indulgent and overlong. But would you be complaining if (say) someone wrote a similarly laudatory/tacky article about Ilford, helping to keep them in business?
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Leicas are fashionable in Japan and China, I've read. I don't know if this is true. I've never been to those countries---only Mexico and Canada outside of the US.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    I'm not sure how you can 'pollute' ad space, which helps keep the cover price of mags down....
    All art is propoganda - Diego Rivera

To say that economics exempts anyone from criticism is really the most demonic sort of propoganda, no?

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All art is propoganda To say that economics exempts anyone from criticism is really the most demonic sort of propoganda, no?
    Yes, but I'm not sure what your criticism is.

You can't pollute advertising space because it is self-proclaimed economic propaganda. Either that is inherently polluted/polluting, or it isn't. What is advertised is irrelevant.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    So in other words, 'it's an ad - it's inherently polluted'? Sounds like an advertorial I once wrote for an oil-rich country. Paid well, and after a long hot bath I could walk among honest people again.

I wouldn't say that the article was tacky. Self-indulgent - oh yeah, overlong - maybe. But if you accepted the givens - this is not a tech review with a 'lenses so sharp you could use them in laser eye surgery' slant; it's not printed in Mother Earth News, so it had better not read like a glance at a new composting technique (could you imagine it; "and the earthworms, cradled in my now powerfully-loamy hand, call me to remember their cousins so well-adapted by the Master") - it did work. And after these years of reading articles about Leicas and respecting them, I finally found myself desiring to use one.
    Maybe it was also because I had been given a LOMO (now dubbed 'the anti-Leica') the day before, and if it had been about my mother's old Kodak 110 POS, I would have slobbered for it.
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin