Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,016   Online: 887

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the picture of the strange looking cat. So focusing this lens with a bessa isn't an issue as people claim?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Never had a problem focusing the 90 on an original R Bessa.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    Thanks for the picture of the strange looking cat. So focusing this lens with a bessa isn't an issue as people claim?
    I've never had a problem focusing the 90. (or the 40 Nokton or the 50 Heliar)

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    The R2 will be able to handle this lens? $315 is a good price for the lens? Photo Village is to be trusted?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got mine from Robert White. I have not used Photo Village.

The R2 (and all subsequent Bessas) has a Leica M mount. The 90mm Apo-Lanthar is a Leica screw mount. You will need a Voigtlander 28/90mm Screw to M adapter. Easily available.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you. Have you read this review? http://www.cosina-voigtlander.com/content/view/37/31/ Brian, an expert, says it's no good with focusing with the R2. What do you make of that? Should I buy it anyway and upgrade to an Ikon?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    Thank you. Have you read this review? http://www.cosina-voigtlander.com/content/view/37/31/ Brian, an expert, says it's no good with focusing with the R2. What do you make of that? Should I buy it anyway and upgrade to an Ikon?
    From the review:
    Good: As with most (if not all) CV glass, a fair price for good quality brass & glass. Sharpness, including edge sharpness, is excellent and consistent throughout the aperture range. It's also the longest of the CV rangefinder lineup.

I agree.

Bad: Too long to look "cool" on a rangefinder. Also rather slow at f3.5. This leaves low light photography out unless you're into Delta 3200.

'Looking cool' is a bloody stupid way to rate a lens. 'Slow' is up to the photographer and what they require the lens for.

Ugly: Difficult to focus visually on rangefinders with a low magnification, such as the .6x viewfinder on my R2a. Also, focusing is inaccurate on RFs with a short baselength...like my R2a.

I use mine on an R3M with a 1:1 finder with no focusing problems.

So what kid of 'expert' rates a lens by how 'cool' it looks?

Shooter
    35mm
    So what kid of 'expert' rates a lens by how 'cool' it looks?
    Good point. I'll have to stay away from that place and get my info here. That place is down half the time anyway.

Does it matter if I use the R2 instead of the R3M for this lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think it matters, the R2 has the 90mm frameline. You will still need a screw to M adapter though.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the screw.

Andy, you seem to know a lot and you are very helpful. Thanks. One more question. B&H sells the Ikon for $879.00. Would you say this camera is worth it at that price or should I just stick with my Bessa R2.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin