Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,118   Online: 958

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald, as far as knowing a lot goes, that is debatable! I can only speak about the R3M and 90mm Apo-Lanthar as I own both, never having owned or used the Zeiss Ikon I could not advise about that camera.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    I was thinking used Ikon.
    I use the CV 90 with CV Bessa R2; wide open & close I sometimes miss the focus especially if the subject is not static, because the lens is very sharp it can be quite obvious when it happens if you make an enlargement. I can't say if it's the best or if I'd have more success with another camera because I haven't tried any other bodies. But it is certainly usable, just posted a close/open image in my APUG gallery as an example.
    FWIW I have had good experience with several purchases from Cameraquest for CV stuff but I'm not saying there aren't other good dealers as well.

PS, re Coolness, I think mine looks arctic cool, it's silver chrome and I have the green R2, I like it and it looks different, needless to say (but I will anyway) this is a matter of taste...
    Last edited by DaveOttawa; 09-28-2007 at 07:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Check That Price Again

Donald,

The price you cite for the Ikon is for the superwide model, which entirely lacks a rangefinder. Probably not what you want for a 90!

Shooter
    35mm
    It didn't know that price was for the super wide body. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    From the review:
    Good: As with most (if not all) CV glass, a fair price for good quality brass & glass. Sharpness, including edge sharpness, is excellent and consistent throughout the aperture range. It's also the longest of the CV rangefinder lineup.

I agree.
    I'm glad.

Bad: Too long to look "cool" on a rangefinder. Also rather slow at f3.5. This leaves low light photography out unless you're into Delta 3200.

'Looking cool' is a bloody stupid way to rate a lens. 'Slow' is up to the photographer and what they require the lens for.
    Notice the word was in quotes? Guess the sarcasm was lost. Yes, 'slow' is up to the photographer. And yes, "slow" depends on what the photographer requires. In the first paragraph of the review I clearly state that the review is based on my personal usage of the lens. 1/8s-1/15s shutter speed in average indoor lighting using slightly pulled Tri-X at 90mm is "slow" for me. :rolleyes:

Ugly: Difficult to focus visually on rangefinders with a low magnification, such as the .6x viewfinder on my R2a. Also, focusing is inaccurate on RFs with a short baselength...like my R2a.

I use mine on an R3M with a 1:1 finder with no focusing problems.
    The R3A/M has a greater magnification and is slightly easier to focus then the lower-magnification R2A/M. I never said it was impossible, just difficult.

So what kid of 'expert' rates a lens by how 'cool' it looks?
    Are you using quotes to indicate sacracm? BTW, where did I ever say I was an expert? I'm an elementary ESL teacher. I just put a lot of film through my kit and like to share my experiences. I also have a few DIY adjustment/repair articles there...but I'm not a repair expert, either. I just tinker and shoot and share the results hoping that others will find them useful. That's the whole community point of places like there and here at APUG, right? There is no need for those that don't to shout "bloody stupid".

Shooter
    35mm
    Obviously none of the newer Bessa models can handle the 90mm's focusing accurately compared to the Ikon. Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    The R2 will be able to handle this lens? $315 is a good price for the lens? Photo Village is to be trusted?
    I have many items from Photo Village. They are top notch. Knowledgeable and honest. Oh yeah, I own a Zeiss Ikon and my next purchase will be the CV 90mm.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    What about a Bessa-T? Mine does great with a Jupiter-9 85mm f:2 - perfect focus wide open.
    I use my CV 90 on my CV Bessa-T and it works great.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the CV Bessa-T with its 1.5X rangefinder magnification, the effective rangefinder baseline length is about 58mm - long enough to accurately focus even a 135mm lens.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Due to its 0.74x viewfinder magnification, my Zeiss Ikon has an effective rangefinder base length of 55.5mm - Thus a bit shorter effective rangefinder base length than my CV Bessa-T. I'm very fond of both cameras.
    Tom Hoskinson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin