Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,378   Online: 756

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The 40 has always been the most bang for the buck. The 40 is different enough from the 50 and is a perfect one lens outfit. The 40 will not have the testing values of a late model 50 Cron. You may never notice the difference between optics. I like the 40 because it is a match for the 35mm frame on a m6 .72 finder at several meters.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have the 40/2 Minolta CLE. It is a terrific size; smaller than a 50mm Cron. The CLE optic has a easier to find 40.5 thread and has modern coatings. Minolta made no bones about trying to imitate the German optics in OOF rendering while have more even performance from center to edge.

I have a perfect collapsible Cron which draws the image differently than the 40 or a newer Summicron. The 50 at f/4, upclose, makes wonderful portraits. You get creamy/dreamy background bokeh, sharp outlines/details, and a circular iris. If the OOF picture area is important and the lighting bright, I often take the Cron.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

The op started this thread in prehistoric times, we e.g. have the new asph/apo cron to consider as well.

But the choice is unlimited in 5cm lenses it should include the Cosina f/2.5 and /1.5 lenses, as well as Nikon LTM, Canon LTM and many other manufacturers.

In 40mm the Leica CL, Minolta CLE, and Cosnina are all you have.

Unless you shoot wide open and tripod mounted you wont detect much difference in MTF.

If you l9ike the single coated signature or multi coated oignature you have choices in 4cm, and 5c,m, e.g. many of the Cosina 4cm are in SC

If you want small and light the CL, CLE, 4cm and Cosina /2.5 5cm and post '94 Elmar 5cm are all small and light, the Cosina /1.4 4cm is quite large amd heavy in comparison. The post 94 5cm Elmar is really good for MTF and high contrast

But the mot critical thing if you do fast shooting is the ergonimics of the lens and your hand size, try before you buy, all the optical performance of the apo/asph is lost of you dont push the shutter release in time.

Noel

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

The op started this thread in prehistoric times, we e.g. have the new asph/apo cron to consider as well.

But the choice is unlimited in 5cm lenses it should include the Cosina f/2.5 and /1.5 lenses, as well as Nikon LTM, Canon LTM and many other manufacturers.

In 40mm the Leica CL, Minolta CLE, and Cosina are all you have.

Unless you shoot wide open and tripod mounted you wont detect much difference in MTF.

If you like the single coated signature or multi coated signature you have choices in 4cm, and 5c,m, e.g. many of the Cosina 4cm are in SC

If you want small and light the CL, CLE, 4cm and Cosina /2.5 5cm and post '94 Elmar 5cm are all small and light, the Cosina /1.4 4cm is quite large amd heavy in comparison. The post 94 5cm Elmar is really good for MTF and high contrast

But the most critical thing if you do fast shooting is the ergonimics of the lens and your hand size, try before you buy, all the optical performance of the apo/asph is lost of you dont push the shutter release in time.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my experience with a couple different 40mm Summicron examples, they have been excellent and very nice quality lenses. The great thing about them is they don't seem to go for as much as a better known lens like the 50mm. If you want something a little wider, and a better walk around lens (it's much lighter and smaller than the 50 cron), and are on a budget; buy it. It's a very good quality lens made in Germany by leica (probably at least designed by Minolta). It's single coated so it's a little soft for color stuff, but I personally like that look. If you shoot black and white more, don't even hesitate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got both the M-Rokkor 40 for the CLE (the one with the easier-to-find 40.5 mm filters) and a Version IV 50 Summicron. On the M3, I prefer the 50, as that's a match made in heaven.

But, overall, my most-used combination is the M6 with the M-Rokkor. The image quality is, in my opinion, every bit as good as the Leica 50. The 40 field of view is just about perfect for me--it's what I'd call my "normal" angle of view--and the lens is much smaller and more compact than the 50, while still being very well-constructed. You can easily slip an M camera with the M-Rokkor into a large coat pocket, which is more difficult to do with the longer 50. Finally, the 40 is a very good match for the M6's 35 frame lines, at distances over a few metres; it's trivial to remember to be a little more generous with framing when shooting at close distances.

The one drawback is that the 40 Summicron-C/M-Rokkors bring up the 50 frame lines automatically on M cameras, rather than the 35s. The lenses can easily be modified, with a bit of filing, to bring up the 35 frame lines. But if you don't wish to make an irreversible change to your lens, I found out online about a kludge that works quite well for me: if you take a plastic film canister cap (the Ilford ones work particularly well, as they are about the perfect thickness and are black) and cut it into pie-shaped wedges, you can use one of these, with the rounded end braced against the lens mount, to hold the frame preview selector lever in the 35 position. Works great, requires no surgery to the lens, and is effectively free!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I read not good reports on Canada Mandler ELCAN designed Crons. They have least half the resolution of a Leitz Wetzlar older generation lenses and tend to lower the resolution at left and right. Its a worldwide discussion why is that. I used 50mm cron on Leicaflex and too hot colors at sunlight for my taste. And there was too much contrast at highlights. BUT BUT If you go to dim light , shadowy area , for example if you dont live at Florida but North , there is excellent , very very classy colors palette and degrades. Skin tones are excellent , I did not see an equivalent colors at any other 6 of my Leitz Wetzlar lens. In my opinion , Leitz lenses have a reputation because whereever whatever you go and do , they Works matchlessly. Newer Leica lenses have not this quality.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would say it's 50mm Summicron.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In my opinion both great performers, and i have owned both, Really the 50 suffers from the least vignetting to my eyes, but only marginally.
    The 40 is great and has minimal distortion for the focal length, both really crisp, but the 50 i think is a little crisper wide open than the 40.

Both are great, get one and be happy.

Pedro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin