Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,461   Online: 957

Shooter
    35mm

Leica Meter (M6 TTL)

I bought a used M6 TTL and tried my CV lenses on. What I noticed is the Leica meter is 2 stops off with these (CV LTM 50/1.5 and 35/2.5) lenses compare to the meter on my old R. I checked the ISO setting and it was both set to the same value. I swap the battery and it gave the the same results.

Did I do anything wrong? I read the manual and the manual says Leica has a white spot on the curtain and its TTL meters that spot. While in R and other Rangefinders the meter meaters on the curtain, which is 18% gray. Is that the reason? I doubt about it very much.

If they are using different metering patter, a 2 stop difference is quite unreal. on a white wall indoor at night, my R (with the same lens) gives f4 1/15, the leica says it is f4 1/60.

I have been using my R with slides and I know it is pretty accurate.

Help please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don’t think you did anything wrong. Have you compared the results under normal conditions in daylight? If you have, and the difference is still there, it appears that your M6 needs some service and adjustment.

Come to think of it. Did you try new batteries or did you use the ones in your other camera? My M6 needs quite fresh batteries. I forgot to change them before a trip a few years ago and, naturally, way out north I ran in to the same problems you describe. I tried to solve my predicament by using batteries from a Nikon FM2 that gave correct readings but they were not fresh enough to drive the light meter in my Leica. So until I was able to purchase fresh batteries I had to take readings with the FM2.

Claes

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You might try a Leica lens on the M6 to compare to the CV, see if you get the same reading, just to make sure it's not somehow the CV lens giving the weird reading- before you shell out for a Leica repair on the M6 meter.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, thanks for the help.

I don't have leica lenses. What I do now is taking lenses off from both the M6 and R and then did a comparison and they now match to each other pretty close. So it is the CV LTM lenses? I have never heard anyone talked about this situation.

I will take the camera to a dealer and see if they can just take a quick peek at it. The previous owner told me he had no problem with the meter and I tend to believe him.

Shooter
    35mm
    The lenses are not likely to be the problem: I use Leica, Minolta and Voigtlander lenses on my rangefinders and they are all compatible.
    My first suspicion would be oxidized battery contacts, or contacts in the shutter speed or ISO-setting dials. There's always the chance something got bumped or damp when the camera was in transit to you. Batteries and contacts youcan clean with a rubber pencil eraser; the dials will take a technician.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am wondering how much a leica tech will charge if I want to have it CLA'd and fixed. Anyone here sent things to leica for repair/CLA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto View Post
    I am wondering how much a leica tech will charge if I want to have it CLA'd and fixed. Anyone here sent things to leica for repair/CLA?
    I can't tell where in the world you are, but if you're in the US, I'd recommend either Don Goldberg at dagcamera.com or Sherry Krauter at www.sherrykrauter.com. Both are Leitz factory trained, have great reputations, have been in business for years, and charge reasonable rates, very likely much less than Leitz USA. Sherry used to travel for Leitz training techs on M camera repairs. I've used Don for R stuff and am very satisfied. Sherry sticks to M's so I haven't needed her services yet.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Lee, thanks for the info. I will give them a call.

I did go to a local leica dealer. He tried a few his Leica-M lenses and told me the meter is off. He had no idea how could it happen.

Anyway I got the first roll of slides back and most 50mm indoor shots are noticeably off, but the 35mm outdoor shots I did around noon weren't that bad -- they look like afternoon shoots though.

what can damage a light meter? The camera is only 5 years old. humidity? the previous owner lives in south.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin