Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,665   Online: 1028

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

This is a long one. Be warned.

OK well I am not a huge 35mm shooter. I shoot mostly Large Format, but have always liked rangefinders. I have a few Russian ones and nearly bought a Bessa R last year. Well as fate would have it my 12 year old cousin was given a d*g*t@l “Leica” a few months ago… That did it… I wanted a “real” Leica…

Yes I am 27 and jealous of a kid’s camera brand…

Fast forward to the other week; Adorama had a IIIc W/ 50mm Elmar in E+… I ordered it but Sukos came up so it is still pending…

Bummed my IIIC was not here I was on the KEH website and saw a IIIf Black Dial body for $224… I did some Over Time and ordered it from KEH… It arrived this afternoon. For some thing listed as bargain it looks almost new (that’s why I LOVE KEH.)
    Compared to my FED 3 or Zorki 4 it handles like a dream… Like the difference between an old Chevy and an Audi at 85 MPH… Tomorrow I will shoot my first roll of film with it. No Lietz Lenses yet but I have a nice Jupiter 12 and Leitz Universal Finder.

So I am as kiddy as a schoolboy

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.
    Carl Sandburg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yay for the new III, but my first thought was "Who on earth would buy a 12 year old a new Leica???"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    ... but my first thought was "Who on earth would buy a 12 year old a new Leica???"
    A Lucky Kid...

That is what I first thought. But their low end digi isn't even close to an MP or M8 in price... Though my IIIf will outlast it by 50 years and cost less.
    Carl Sandburg

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nice camera, did KEH send a manual as well?
    Post pics soon.

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    pssst.
    the leica is a panasonic

the leica is a leica

great work david!
    i love keh too

-john

Shooter
    35mm
    Good find. So far my success rate with KEH's bargain cameras is 50% - I bought 2 Pentax ME Supers (couldn't beat the price, figured why not have a spare), one of which works just fine out of the box, the other needed an extensive overhaul.

Not complaining though - it *was* clearly labeled as bargain, and even with a shutter and mode selector switch replacement it was still less than $200 (and now it's warrantied locally).

I also have a couple of FSU rangefinders, and would love to have an actual Leica - have to keep my eyes open at KEH I guess

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had pretty good luck with Bargain items at KEH. I wish they had better photos though. I bought some Bargain lenses that where almost like new, some with minor wear and some that looked like they dropped off the back of a truck. The glass was never terrible but everything else looked worn. I have only purchased one other body from KEH that was bargain and that also was pretty good. AND unlike Ebay I can easily return some thing that I feel was not as described.

Keh didn’t send me the manual but I have it as a PDF file and I printed it up at work. If anyone needs a IIIf Manual I will send the PDF your way.

I still like my FSU Rangefinders but…. The Leica is a lot nicer.
    Carl Sandburg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you enjoy it. I got a IIIa in a charity shop a couple of years ago for £15 (about $30). I really got it as an ornament as I didn't expect it to work properly at that price, but a check up at my local Leica dealer showed it to be light tight and with rangefinder and shutter speeds bang on, and it now gets a lot of use. I find my modern MP a lot faster to load, but otherwise its a little gem and fits perfectly in a coat pocket.

David.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin