Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,324   Online: 1036

Shooter
    35mm

efke film loading problem

I recently aquired a Leica IIIa and have been experimenting with different films. I loaded some Efke 100 and when I tried advancing the film, the mechanism stuck. My Leica dealer looked at it, felt that something got bent, and sent it off for a repair estimate. I noticed that this film stock is thicker than most (all?). Do you think it may have created too much resistance for an old mechaism to handle? I've had no problem loading modern films. Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not used the Leica III in any of its forms but I doubt that film thickness is the problem. I recently had a talk with a fellow photographer who used a Leica IIIb and, being a self-described traditionalist, he used efke films in his camera almost exclusively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Efke films work fine in my Russian rangefinders, which are probably a lot fussier than any Leica in the film transport department. I imagine it was just dumb luck that the Efke film was in the camera at the time.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a note stuck to my computer monitor which says, Lucky 100 and Neopan SS is okay. Efke is too thick. I wrote the note to myself months ago with regards to loading the IIIa.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    35mm

response

Thank you for your responses - at the very least I will be very careful if I try the efke film again

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin