Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,482   Online: 907

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    I'm curious to know if anyone here uses Nikon rangefinders? It seems that there is much talk about every other brand, but very little (if any) about Nikon rangefinders.

How do Nikon Rangefinders (particularly the S2) compare in terms of ease of use and reliability to Leica M3's, Canons, Contax's, etc?

I started another thread on this forum about using a modern film canister in an S2, but I didn't get too many responses. That made me do some research here and I found very little threads about Nikon rangefinders. Any particular reason why Nikons are hardly mentioned? Again, just curious.
    Interesting question. What has become of your dream of a Leica M?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting question. What has become of your dream of a Leica M?
    I found an S2 at a decent price (less than a 50mm Leica M mount lens). So, I'm not really going back on the agreement I had with the wife about buying the Leica when I dropped to 185. In reality it's not a Leica, so I'm not really "cheating".

Besides, I just purchased another D200 a few weeks ago as a back up for my other D200, so the Leica was going to be out of my price range for another year or so...

p.s., forgot to add; the wife gets a trip to Puerto Rico or wherever, no questions or complaints on my part. We agreed I would sell off some excess equipment I have just out of principle. I guess I will be saying goodbye to one of my D1X's, an F3HP (maybe the F2A because it bores me), and a couple of more odds and ends...
    Last edited by snegron; 12-01-2007 at 05:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Up until last year, I had a Nikon S2 (black dial) and a Nikon S, both with 50/1.4 Nikkor lenses. Included with the cameras were the never-ready cases for both, the original box for the S and some accessories. The S2 was in such nice truly mint condition I was afraid to use it, and the S needed simple a CLA and I didn't want to spend the money on it since I wasn't interested in shooting with that one, so, after about a year of holding on to both cameras, I sold it all for just under $2000US. I originally purchased everything at a garage sale in '05 for a total of $35. I shot one roll of slide film with the S2 and the slides turned out pretty good. I thought I'd find a good user S2 and some lenses one day, but I haven't really looked since I sold those two Nikons. This thread has rekindled my interest so maybe I'll have an S2 or SP soon. :-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I cut my teeth on my family's Nikon SP. It was retired when I found out that it was a collectable. However I now have a an S and S3 that I use. Right now my main carry around camera is a Voigtlander R3a due to my love of RF cameras. My 2008 goal is to shoot the Nikon stuff more. After 30 years the Sp is still going strong.

As far as handling, I like them as well as my Leica stuff.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mac View Post
    I cut my teeth on my family's Nikon SP. It was retired when I found out that it was a collectable. However I now have a an S and S3 that I use. Right now my main carry around camera is a Voigtlander R3a due to my love of RF cameras. My 2008 goal is to shoot the Nikon stuff more. After 30 years the Sp is still going strong.

As far as handling, I like them as well as my Leica stuff.

Eric
    Are you currently using Leica or Voigtlander lenses with your R3a? Have you had a chance to compare them to the Nikon lenses? If so, I would be curious to know how they compare from an actual users point of view.

I have heard lots of praise for the Leica M and some Voigtlander lenses. It would be interesting to see images shot of the same subject with different lenses to see the actual differences. Just a thought.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have an S2 w/1.4, and a 35mm f/2.5 extra lens that I use somewhat frequently. I really like the fact that the S2 has a 1:1 viewfinder, so you can look through the viewfinder with the "shooting" eye and also look at the scene with your non-camera eye. Framing is accurate only with the 50mm, of course. I like my S2 very much, as it reminds me of my S3 and several Nikon RF I had stolen in Zaire in 1975 -- God knows where that stuff is now!

My S2 needs a CLA, however, as the slow speeds are too slow. Off to Essex Camera, I suppose, unless someone has a better idea. For more info on the Nikon RF system, get a copy of Robert Rotolini's excellent book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a Nikon S and S2 in the late 1950s and I loved them.

Now I have a Nikon Historical Society Voigtlander Bessa -R2S with several lenses - a wonderful camera!

http://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I have an S2 w/1.4, and a 35mm f/2.5 extra lens that I use somewhat frequently. I really like the fact that the S2 has a 1:1 viewfinder, so you can look through the viewfinder with the "shooting" eye and also look at the scene with your non-camera eye. Framing is accurate only with the 50mm, of course. I like my S2 very much, as it reminds me of my S3 and several Nikon RF I had stolen in Zaire in 1975 -- God knows where that stuff is now!

My S2 needs a CLA, however, as the slow speeds are too slow. Off to Essex Camera, I suppose, unless someone has a better idea. For more info on the Nikon RF system, get a copy of Robert Rotolini's excellent book.

Any word yet on the release date of Rotolini's book? Amazon.com displays it but doesn't have any in stock.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd like to know what Roger Hicks has to say about Nikon rangefinders and lenses. I'm a little concerned we haven't heard from him in a while. I was hoping he would chime in on this thread. His knowledge about older cameras is amazing especially since he has used and compared just about everything out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    I'd like to know what Roger Hicks has to say about Nikon rangefinders and lenses. I'm a little concerned we haven't heard from him in a while. I was hoping he would chime in on this thread. His knowledge about older cameras is amazing especially since he has used and compared just about everything out there.
    Roger's been spending a lot of time over at the Rangefinder Forum the past several days. I suspect he'll come back here eventually.

Jim B.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin