Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,191   Online: 1159

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Contax G2 and ND Grad filters

I mostly use a Pentax 67II for my landscape photography, but also have a Contax G2 rangefinder which I hope to use more often. Until now I've mostly used it for street-type photos.

How can I use ND Grads with this rangefinder, and does the G2's autofocus have any influence on how I use them?

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by coigach View Post
    I mostly use a Pentax 67II for my landscape photography, but also have a Contax G2 rangefinder which I hope to use more often. Until now I've mostly used it for street-type photos.

How can I use ND Grads with this rangefinder, and does the G2's autofocus have any influence on how I use them?

Cheers,
    Gavin
    Gavin, you can use any ND linear grad filter which has marks on the outer ring, i.e. Heliopan filters. Or you can use the Cokin system, which allows you to shift the filter up and down.

The autofocus is not TTL, it's based on a triangulation system similar to the Zeiss Ikon or Leica, but in auto mode, so it does not interfere with any filter.

Though I use circular pol filters for my other cams, I don't use any filter on the Contax G system because the Zeiss lenses are the best I've ever seen for 35mm cameras when shooting slide film.
    Don't dream your life - live your dream.
    I'm using FILM because nature isn't made of squares.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    Gavin, you can use any ND linear grad filter which has marks on the outer ring, i.e. Heliopan filters. Or you can use the Cokin system, which allows you to shift the filter up and down.

The autofocus is not TTL, it's based on a triangulation system similar to the Zeiss Ikon or Leica, but in auto mode, so it does not interfere with any filter.

Though I use circular pol filters for my other cams, I don't use any filter on the Contax G system because the Zeiss lenses are the best I've ever seen for 35mm cameras when shooting slide film.
    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

After a bit of hunting I also found this article which should help folks interested in using rangefinders, transparency film and ND Grads.

http://www.andylatham.co.uk/section52452_7493.html

Cheers, Gavin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin