Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,775   Online: 790

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

So I got a Bessa L with 25mm Skopar

Hi all, celebrating my latest acquisition, a Bessa L with black Skopar 25mm/f4 lens, the lens being in the black variety, for my "shooting from the hip" stuff. Are there any points to watch out for in use, and does the black version fetch a premium? i only ask because two L bodies ending hours apart but with black and silver lenses fetched differing ammounts, the black version fetching the higher.

Thanks, Lol

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I can't think of anything to watch out for - with a 25mm lens, even guess focus is easy.

Maybe the one thing I recommend is getting a Heliopan IR695 filter, and trying the camera with Rollei IR820/400. Just shoot according to the meter.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Ole and thanks for the reply. I've never tried IR film before despite being a fan of Simon Marsden's work. Does anyone shoot IR for street photography?

Thanks, Lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same setup although in silver. Having shot with it extensively for a couple years, be prepared for the L to jam occasionally, particularly at the end of a reel. What often happens is that the inner shutter remains open and you have to jimmy it closed. Also rewinding can be difficult as the torque gets very high towards the end of reel.. It's easier to do if you pull the viewfinder off first.
    The lens is great but very contrasty. I find it fine with B&W or color neg but unusable with color reversal.
    After a lot of use the viewfinder on mine has a tendency slide off easily. I often have to search for it in the bag.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it. A great, lightweight walk around camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Doug, thanks for replying. Well it just arrived inthe post and it's a gorgeous little thing. I was amazed by the brightness of the viewfinder, but then again I'm used to a Nikon F3. I think I'll be leaving the viewfinder at home as I want this camera for hip shooting. WRT the shutter, does leaving a film 1 shot shy of the end, say at 35 instead of 36 make a difference?

Cheers, Lol

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My L has never jammed. Ok, that's a lie ... The one time it jammed was when I was loading and re-loading the same roll of film over and over and as I prepped the film advance to get the sprockets in place, my finger grazed the curtain. The thing jammed. I think what I did to fix it was take the lens off and delicately fiddle with the curtain hinge until slipped back into whatever position it was supposed to be in. Other than that, I've been very careful about rewinding, loading, etc and never had a jam. Then again, I'm absurdly careful with equipment to the point of probably needing a session with a shrink every couple of months or so.

Moral, don't be like me. Life is full of jams.

I have the 25mm lens as well and can show you some work I've done with it, mostly with Tri X 400

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My Bessa only jammed once and it was my fault. I was shooting some rather quick action stuff and I started to wind the film just a split second before the shutter finished doing it's thing. Had to get it repaired by an expert. Other than that an excellent camera.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well the camera is working fine and lends itself to burning a LOT of film (compared to my usual roll a month).
    I have the 25mm lens as well and can show you some work I've done with it, mostly with Tri X 400
    Post away, it would be useful to see someone else's results with it.

I'm "inventing" a strap/rig for use when street shooting. Nothing stunning but if it works I'll post a photo of it.

Cheers, Lol

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lol999 View Post
    Well the camera is working fine and lends itself to burning a LOT of film (compared to my usual roll a month).

Post away, it would be useful to see someone else's results with it.

I'm "inventing" a strap/rig for use when street shooting. Nothing stunning but if it works I'll post a photo of it.

Cheers, Lol
    Never had my current one jam but it is a replacement for one that jammed after about 5 shots from new...
    Like it a lot, as you say the VF is excellent, some shots in the galleries here, not all w 25mm, will be fairly obvious which are:
    http://www.pbase.com/mononation/cv
    I guess this is street photograhy for example:
    http://www.pbase.com/mononation/image/68113567
    and the first shot in my gallery here at APUG is with the 25mm as well.
    Good luck and post some stuff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin