Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,553   Posts: 1,573,138   Online: 777

Shooter
    35mm

Voigtlander Screw or M lenses?

I've just bought a Voigtlander R2M and need to buy lenses. If i go for the newer M fitting wide angles it will be more expensive as I will need to by the viewfinders separately, but if I go for the screw fitting versions I'll need to buy converters. Now I know converters are cheaper than viewfinders, but is it a hassle to use them? Are the newer lenses better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not just quite that simple if you're thinking of the 25mm. The screwmount isn't coupled to the rangefinder, so you just guess the distance and set it on the lens and use the hyperfocal distance, but it does come with a viewfinder. The M version is rangefinder coupled, but you might still need the viewfinder and it costs about £90. Once the M adaptor is on you just leave it in place, so no problems with that at all and don't let it influence your choice.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The screwmount CV 21mm is rangefinder coupled, and favorite wide lens (for 35mm).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thomsonrc View Post
    I've just bought a Voigtlander R2M and need to buy lenses. If i go for the newer M fitting wide angles it will be more expensive as I will need to by the viewfinders separately, but if I go for the screw fitting versions I'll need to buy converters. Now I know converters are cheaper than viewfinders, but is it a hassle to use them? Are the newer lenses better?

You're probably best just deciding which lens you really want then buying whatever you need (VF or converter). If it looks expensive just remember how much $$ you save by not buying Leica!

FTR I use R2 & CV 35/2.5 & 90/35 and use a LTM-M converter for each lens so the lenses are effectively M mount (I leave converter on), works well.
    I use the older CV25/f4 lens on a Bessa L body with the included VF, zone/scale focusing seems to work very well with this lens so don't worry too much about RF coupling (which that lens doesn't have) - you may be able to live without it.
    The advantage of the L body with the 25 & separate VF is the meter lights are on the top plate and visible when your eye is at the VF.
    A used L body probably isn't much more than a new converter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dave, if you don't mind my asking, do you buy your gear in Canada? I had a heck of a time finding what I wanted and I don't feel at all comfortable buying a classic RF camera from eBeware...
    Mary

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin