Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,313   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Polarizing Filter - What is the best method for RF Cameras?

I wonder which methods are the most common for using effectively polarizing filters on RF cameras. Any experience with FilterView of PhotoEquip?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my lightmeter in the camera. Leica M6.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get good results using a Kenko polariser and auxiliary viewfinder.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    I use my lightmeter in the camera. Leica M6.
    /matti
    How?
    I have a M6 TTL and an older Leitz polarizing filter and have always found it awkward to have to observe the subject through the filter first, rotating it in my hand, mark the orientation, screw it onto the lens, set the orientation of the filter, and then finally take the shot.
    Do you perhaps turn the filter untill you get the lowest light reading? Does that produce good results?

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Use a polariser with plenty of edge markings . Hold it to the eye and note the point at which the effect you want is achieved. Put polariser on lens and recreate that point. Expose by using manufacturer data on filter factor to adjust metered exposure- in my case two stops for most polarisers, 1.5 for my most recent B+W. I prefer to use filter factors than to meter through a polariser anyway since that risks compensating for some of the effect I'm using the filter to create, so the only difference between a rangefinder and slr for me is that with a slr I twiddle the polariser after I put it on the lens, and with a RF I twiddle it before.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not too long ago from what I remember when reading one of the photo magazines there was a set sold of two filters both with edge markings. One for the hand and one on the camera. Of course it can be done when buying two of the same brand and marked as long as the markings concur.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don`t use a polarizer when using a rangefinder, problem solved
    Amund

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Polarizing filter for RF cameras

I used 1/4" Dymo embossing tape typing numbers seperated by periods ( 1 thru 12) and applied it around the outside edge of the filter. By turning the
    filter until the desired effect is acquired and observing the reference number
    then placing the filter to the lens so the reference is located in the same
    location. It seems to work fairly well for me.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Not too long ago from what I remember when reading one of the photo magazines there was a set sold of two filters both with edge markings. One for the hand and one on the camera. Of course it can be done when buying two of the same brand and marked as long as the markings concur.
    That would be the Kenko set mentioned by Andy K. The viewing filter fits in a hot shoe or is hand held.

Leica makes/used to make a polarizing filter with a swing arm. You swing it up in front of the viewfinder, set it for the desired effect, then swing it back 180 degrees in front of the lens where the effect is identical. Don't know the current price/availability.

Comments by others in the thread about methods for getting the orientation on camera to the same as when viewing are on the mark.

I'd be surprised if two random polarizers by the same mfgr are aligned to ring markings. Of course you could make your own markings on two filters and go from there, or maybe loosen the retaining ring(s) and rotate the filter glass in the mount(s) so that markings match.

Lee

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mamiya has a unique Polarizer for their 7 II medium format rangefinders. It's on two swing arms which allow you to swing the filter up for correct viewing to adjust the filter, and to take the exposure reading, since the camera does not do ttl metering. Then once the filter is set and exposure calculated, the filter swings down over the lens for shooting.

That said, I do use Polarizers on my Leicas. Simpler to shoot B&W. Grin.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin