Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,244   Online: 1086
      
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    813
    Images
    9
    Hi all...

    I ended up getting an M2 (circa 1964) in almost perfect condition with a 50/2 Zeiss Planar...very sweet combination and am extremely satisfied. I still have yet to see the Ikon ZM in the flesh, so to speak, and I look forward to that day.

    A belated thanks to all who offered their thoughts and experience!

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Jersey (again)
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    1,981
    You picked up an M2 -- sweet. The feel and operation of the older M's is different than the newer ones. Not better, not worse -- but different.

    I think you're going to have a great time with that.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    196
    I believe it is built on the old Nikon FM10 body. Anyone can confirm that?

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto View Post
    I believe it is built on the old Nikon FM10 body. Anyone can confirm that?
    i don't think so... they look completely different, and built from different metals.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    i don't think so... they look completely different, and built from different metals.

    you mean actually it was a brand new design? Wow.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    196
    Here is the source
    "The aluminum alloy chassis used in the FM10 can be traced back more than twenty-five years to the Cosina CT-1. Cosina has a long history of producing equipment to specification for other camera companies. Other famous name SLR cameras that were built around the CT-1 chassis include the Canon T60, Nikon FE10, Olympus OM2000, Ricoh KR-5 and Yashica FX-3. They differ primarily in their outer cosmetic plastic body panels, lens mounts and nameplates. This chassis is also used, in heavily reworked form, as the basis for the recent Rollei 35RF, Zeiss Ikon and Cosina's own Voigtländer branded Bessa R series of 35 mm film rangefinder (RF) cameras as well as the unique Epson R-D1 digital rangefinder camera in magnesium alloy."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_FM10

    Not sure if it is accurate, since wiki is prone to inaccuracies because anyone can write on it.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by dxphoto View Post
    Here is the source
    "The aluminum alloy chassis used in the FM10 can be traced back more than twenty-five years to the Cosina CT-1. Cosina has a long history of producing equipment to specification for other camera companies. Other famous name SLR cameras that were built around the CT-1 chassis include the Canon T60, Nikon FE10, Olympus OM2000, Ricoh KR-5 and Yashica FX-3. They differ primarily in their outer cosmetic plastic body panels, lens mounts and nameplates. This chassis is also used, in heavily reworked form, as the basis for the recent Rollei 35RF, Zeiss Ikon and Cosina's own Voigtländer branded Bessa R series of 35 mm film rangefinder (RF) cameras as well as the unique Epson R-D1 digital rangefinder camera in magnesium alloy."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_FM10

    Not sure if it is accurate, since wiki is prone to inaccuracies because anyone can write on it.
    ah so i guess you are right. i thought the FM10 was rather flimsy when i handled it but the zeiss ikon is reported to feel solid and smooth in operation.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Jersey (again)
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    1,981
    A close examination of a Bessa-R2 and the Zeiss Ikon would lead me to believe that they share the same sub-chassis. There also is some sharing of other parts: exposure-lock button (their actual operation differs), some caps and some knobs and probably the lens mount.

    The Zeiss Ikon's body is indeed very rigid.

    I haven't handled a Bessa lately, but the use of more metal should give those models more stiffness. There was flex in earlier bodies especially with the plastic back.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    110
    The R2's back has some flex.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    695
    Images
    3
    I got to handle a Zeiss Ikon last week at B&H. A beautiful, solid camera with an outstanding viewfinder. The only reason I didn't get it is because I shoot left-eyed and the meter/shutter speed indicator is on the left side out of view for me. Otherwise I'd have walked out with one of those and a Nokton.

    Oddly enough, the cheaper (in price and feel) R2/3 has its metering on the bottom but I didn't like the feel of the body at all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin