Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,199   Online: 780

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Zeiss Ikon ZM build question

Hi all...

I have not seen this camera in person yet...on the silver model, is the top of the camera (where the film advance and shutter speed dial sits) made of metal or plastic?

I guess I'm wondering because I've seen a photo of the black one, and it looks very plastic-like in black...so it got me wondering...

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The ZM body is made by Cosina. I have one of Cosina's R2S Nikon-clones and the top of the body is black, painted metal.

Given Zeiss's rep and the fact that their name is on it - I cannot imagine that it isn't also metal.

But the quickest way to verify this would be to go onto RFF.com.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out the comprehensive review on Mike Elek's website: here. It says that the top and bottom plates are varnished magnesium.

I haven't seen this camera in person, but from the photos it looks beautiful!

i got to handle one at bagnall's when mr. gandy was still selling zeiss gear. the black paint is really purty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It has the greatest viewfinder ever put on a RF. That alone makes it worth purchasing. After you look through it, looking through a Leica is a disappointment.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    It has the greatest viewfinder ever put on a RF. That alone makes it worth purchasing. After you look through it, looking through a Leica is a disappointment.

Patrick
    Don't let the Leica-philes hear you say that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, I agree it has a nice viewfinder. Especially if you wear glasses. I have an M2, which has a nice viewfinder but not as bright or easy to see wide angle frame lines as the Zeiss Ikon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one and build quality is great. When compared to the Leica, the Ikon weighs less and is not a thick (front to back) and as a result...feels less sturdy in the hand. The viewfinder on the ZM is fantastic and the lenses....bitingly sharp. I love mine.

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For a cost comparison n 1952 Wards sold Contax IIAs for $444, adjusting for inflation in 2007 is around $3521.46, my argument to my wife why a new Zeiss is such a good deal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Hi all...

I have not seen this camera in person yet...on the silver model, is the top of the camera (where the film advance and shutter speed dial sits) made of metal or plastic?

I guess I'm wondering because I've seen a photo of the black one, and it looks very plastic-like in black...so it got me wondering...

Thanks!
    I have a Black Zeiss Ikon ZM. The top is metal - and beautiful!

A Great Camera with a great viewfinder!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin