Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,350   Online: 1025

Thread: Canon P mystery

Shooter
    35mm

Canon P mystery

I've got a Canon P with the letters "TE" engraved inside a small square box on the accessory shoe. Does anyone have any idea what this means? Searches with Google indicate this is a rare marking, but not unknown. Very little else seems to be known. Any thoughts anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should post this message on the "Coffee with Experts" forum on the Rangefinder Forum. Peter Dechert, who wrote THE book on Canon rangefinder cameras, has a sub-forum there, and can tell you more about this particular P. Only bad part is that RFF appears to be down right now, I haven't been able to connect to the website since Wednesday.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble with RFF -- though it is disturbing it's been down this long.

I agree with Jim's idea -- IF you can get through to RFF, Peter D. would be the guy to ask.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I read Peter's books some time ago and now I regret selling it! I'll make a post in that forum.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by davela View Post
    I've got a Canon P with the letters "TE" engraved inside a small square box on the accessory shoe. Does anyone have any idea what this means? Searches with Google indicate this is a rare marking, but not unknown. Very little else seems to be known. Any thoughts anyone?

The TE stands for "Tax Exempt"
    Jim
    Bessa R, Canon P, Fed 2, Kiev 4AM, Leica M2 & M4, Hexar AF, Canonet QL17 GIII, Yashica GT
    My Photos

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Jim,

How do you know that TE stands for Tax Exempt?
    Have you seen any documentation of similat cases?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    We now have found seven Canon P cameras with engraving TE.

Shooter
    35mm
    and why are they tax exempt?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was very common for troops based in occupied countries (after WWII) to be allowed to buy tax free goods like cameras. Certainly in the UK purchase tax on luxury goods was quite high in the 50's & 60's , and the Rolleiflex I own was bought tax free by an RAF officer in the 60's while he was based in Germany.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One opinion is that TE stands for a company name.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin