Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,836   Online: 807

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm not saying I won't ever buy from B&H again, not at all. They're great. Maybe the other distributor misled me to get me to buy theirs, but they said they are a licensed distributor of Bessa Voigtlanders .. whatever, and aren't they all imported anyway?? Aren't they all made in Japan?

What bugged me was that the model I got from BH had obviously been opened and tested and then put back in because the plastic wrap was all crinkly and the battery was inside. When I buy new, I want fresh, mint stuff. That way, if I ever re-sell it, I'll know I was the only one who ever really handled it and can assure people they're getting a quality second hand camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Many retailers (especially smaller ones) open boxes and let a customer look at the object inside. It's no big deal.

I can understand being concerned that you got someone's return or something, but if it's in perfect shape there's no real point in returning it. If it had been dropped or something there'd be an obvious ding.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bessa_L_R3a View Post
    I'm not saying I won't ever buy from B&H again, not at all. They're great. Maybe the other distributor misled me to get me to buy theirs, but they said they are a licensed distributor of Bessa Voigtlanders .. whatever, and aren't they all imported anyway?? Aren't they all made in Japan?

What bugged me was that the model I got from BH had obviously been opened and tested and then put back in because the plastic wrap was all crinkly and the battery was inside. When I buy new, I want fresh, mint stuff. That way, if I ever re-sell it, I'll know I was the only one who ever really handled it and can assure people they're getting a quality second hand camera.
    As I understand it, you bought it from B&H thinking it was NIB and you were disappointed to find that the package was already opened and a battery inserted into the camera.

That's a legit complaint.

And, as I also understand it, B&H accepted your return and refunded your money so you could buy the camera from another dealer.

So, what was the purpose of posting this thread?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    When I originally posted I still hadn't returned it, I was merely asking if it was normal to find a battery inside a "new" product. In fact, as of this writing, the original still isn't returned. I have both and am heading out now to return the first one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You bought a camera and it had a battery in the battery compartment? Wow, that's really quite an issue. Any other serious problems with your equipment? :rolleyes:

Yeah, sorry for the sarcasm.

IOS

Shooter
    35mm
    The camera that you received was a return from another customer and they will resell it to another customer ! I would never accept a camera or any other item that has been used, returned or opened by anyone unless that was expressed at the time of purchased.

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had the feeling at one time or another when dealing with B&H or Adorama that the item I was getting was possibly taken out of the box or maybe a display item. Since it was not a camera I wasn't too worried, but since you probably spent $400 or so on the body, why shouldn't it be NIB and sealed? The only reason I could see for getting a item that's been opened is because it was returned. They have display items, why open a box? And if they sell the display item then their out of stock, but a discount should exist for display items just like most everybody I've ever seen does. As far as grey is concerned, I have had no problem with anything from B&H. They have stood behind any problem I might have had. Luckily your dealing with B&H and not some of the others around.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by IOS View Post
    The camera that you received was a return from another customer and they will resell it to another customer ! I would never accept a camera or any other item that has been used, returned or opened by anyone unless that was expressed at the time of purchased.
    It is really difficult to know. This, possibly, could be the situation but...

last Christmas I bought my wife a small digicam. Knowing not much about them I went to a brick-and-mortar shop and tried them out. Each camera the guy pulled out of the case had a battery in it so I could check features, etc. When I selected a model he got a brand new box from the back of the store, opened it up, took the battery out of the package and tested the camera. Then he put the camera back into the original wrapping and reboxed it for me to purchase. He claimed that there are occasional DOA cameras so they do that with each before selling - as a way to reduce returns. I'll bet the only reason he mentioned it was because I was standing there, but on a mailorder who knows what they say, or don't say.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    You bought a camera and it had a battery in the battery compartment? Wow, that's really quite an issue. Any other serious problems with your equipment? :rolleyes:

Yeah, sorry for the sarcasm.
    You´re right, it doesn´t look like anyone agreed with me at all.

Oops, sorry for the sarcasm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bessa_L_R3a View Post
    You´re right, it doesn´t look like anyone agreed with me at all.

Oops, sorry for the sarcasm.
    *LOL*

I have bought two new cameras in my entire life. A XD11 that was stolen several months later in Amsterdam, and a FM2 bought when I needed a camera fast in photo school. Forgive me for wondering what all the hubbub is about whether someone looked and fondled your camera before you received it.

Kinda like those people who buy new cars. It enables me to buy cars, just as good, three years later for 1/3 the price.

Return the camera, write out the check to someone who will guarantee you a NIB, never been touched piece of equipment, and pay twice the price.

There are two different views of the world and you are certainly entitled to yours. But understand, there are many of us who just don't get it.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin