Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,462   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    you're right! I'm sorry, I hadn't noticed before. The framelines DO move when I focus ... But why? What does focus have to do with composition? I guess that's the parallax correction you were referring to.

Now, on a separate note, since what I see in the framelines is not precisely what I will get on the film exposure, does this mean I have to compensate slightly but composing and then moving the camera slightly to left? Or is the differential minimal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The framelines moving is already doing that 'compensation' for you.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I see ...

Once again, thought I wouldn't have anything more to add to this thread, but I've been reading about some models having "misaligned" framelines ...

I'm so new to this I probably wouldn't know if mine were misaligned.

Does this mean that when you focus, the two images in the center patch never really align perfectly with each other and therefore you can't get super sharp focus?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bessa_L_R3a View Post
    I see ...

Once again, thought I wouldn't have anything more to add to this thread, but I've been reading about some models having "misaligned" framelines ...

Does this mean that when you focus, the two images in the center patch never really align perfectly with each other and therefore you can't get super sharp focus?
    I don’t think that misaligned framelines will influence your ability to focus your camera. It will, however, have serious bearing on what part of a scene actually ends up on your negative.

You can check if you have any misalignment quite easily. Take a photo of a two dimensional scene, for instance a wall. Make a small drawing of what you see in the viewfinder and compare the results.

You have to compare details that are on the plane of focus. There will be some discrepancies between what you see in the viewfinder and what will end up on the negative when photographing a three dimensional scene because the framelines can only compensate the parallax on the plane of focus.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ok, so there's no way to know if it's misaligned until I do the test.

I DO notice that when I'm focusing on a small object a few meters away in the focus patch, when it's supposedly fully aligned, it doesn't look as crisp as when I do it with a vertical line like a wall edge or signpost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, so there's no way to know if it's misaligned until I do the test.

I DO notice that when I'm focusing on a small object a few meters away in the focus patch, when it's supposedly fully aligned, it doesn't look as crisp as when I do it with a vertical line like a wall edge or signpost.
    I believe there's some confusion in this thread between viewfinder frames and the rangefinder patch. In generally accepted parlance, the finder frames outline the perimeter of the picture area and rangefinder patch is the central focusing area. Nearly every mention of misalignment that I've seen with regard to the C/V Bessa rangefinder cameras refers to the rangefinder, usually with a little vertical offset between the images. Focusing on vertical lines can overcome this vertical offset and work well if the rangefinder is correctly set for the left-right alignment.

The best way to test rangefinder focusing accuracy is with something like a ruler set at 45 degrees to the lens axis. Focus on a certain line at wide apertures and see how close you come. Test at close and medium distances and look at the negatives or slides with some good magnification.

Finding a contrasty target to focus on usually helps with a rangefinder.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I see ...

Just go shoot already! Seriously, don't worry too much about framing accuracy, you'll find it works better than you expect. You will always get more on the negative than the frame lines so shoot using them and yo may soemtimes need to crop slightly when printing. It really works.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveOttawa View Post
    Just go shoot already!
    I know, I was waiting for someone to yell at me ... I'm trying to get out there but this will be my first weekend with the camera and weekdays I can't bring cameras to work because I work, of all places, in a courthouse, where they are strictly prohibited. Stupid, absurd rule considering they allow camera phones in the building, precisely the kind of gadget you'd need to take pics on the sly.

OK, so I'll report back soon.

~R.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin