Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,604   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

how to read framelines Bessa R3a

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows which lines I´m supposed to frame "within" on my Bessa R3a ...

There is a small rectangle in the center used for adjusting the focus. Then there is a larger rectangle outside that, that takes up maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the viewfinder, and then there are some outer frame lines.

Am I supposed to frame within those outer lines? I´m using a 40mm with camera set to same.

Thanks,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the camera set as you describe, the outermost framelines are the 40mm framelines, the inner framelines are what you would use to compose for a 90mm lens. That is why it says 90 below the 40 on the frameline switch. Hope that helps.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have owned various Voigtlanders but not an R3a, but a quick study
    http://shutterbug.com/equipmentrevie...er/index1.html
    reveals that the 40 mm frame comes up with the 90 mm, so the answer is to compose with the bigger frame when a 40 mm lens is fitted.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    That´s actually what I thought but I wasn´t sure. Thanks for clarifying.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    While I´m on the topic, what exactly is happening when that wheel in the camera body gets pushed in or out?

Are the framelines mentioned in my original post being projected from the lens or are they embedded in the viewfinder and merely shift according to the wheel depression/lens type?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bessa_L_R3a View Post
    While I´m on the topic, what exactly is happening when that wheel in the camera body gets pushed in or out?

Are the framelines mentioned in my original post being projected from the lens or are they embedded in the viewfinder and merely shift according to the wheel depression/lens type?
    That wheel is the follower for the focus cam on the lenses. As you focus the lens, the cam drives that wheel in and out of the camera body, driving the central rangefinder patch and also driving the framelines diagonally from upper left to lower right in the viewfinder. That action keeps the framelines corrected for the difference between the point of view of the finder and that of the lens. This is called parallax correction.

The finder frames are superimposed in the viewfinder with mirrors. They are located behind the frosted white corrugated plastic above the camera lens. Put your finger over that lens and the framelines will darken. Shine a red LED in that window and the framelines will glow red. (That's actually a good trick for seeing your framelines in the dark, although the Bessa R3A doesn't really need help in that regard.)

BTW, the Bessa R3A has 1:1 finder magnification. Practice shooting with both eyes open (if you're right eyed) and watch the frame lines float in space in front of you with a relatively unrestricted view.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    As you focus the lens, the cam drives that wheel in and out of the camera body, driving the central rangefinder patch and also driving the framelines diagonally from upper left to lower right in the viewfinder.
    Lee

Ok, so focusing drives the focus patch alignment, obviously, but focusing itself results in the diagonal shift of the framelines? I´ve never seen my framelines shift as I focus. I´m not understanding that part. I know that pushing the wheel does that, but I didn´t realize that focusing the lens pushes on the wheel? What I understand is that depending on the lens type, the wheel is pushed to a certain depth in a one time movement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bessa_L_R3a View Post
    Ok, so focusing drives the focus patch alignment, obviously, but focusing itself results in the diagonal shift of the framelines? I´ve never seen my framelines shift as I focus. I´m not understanding that part. I know that pushing the wheel does that, but I didn´t realize that focusing the lens pushes on the wheel? What I understand is that depending on the lens type, the wheel is pushed to a certain depth in a one time movement.
    Try it. For a more dramatic demonstration, take the lens off and move the roller in and out quickly with a finger. Watch the frame lines shift. Use the rangefinder patch as a reference point.

Focus a lens off the camera and watch the focusing cam drive back and forth at the top of the lens where it's in contact with the roller in the body.

There is a part of the lens that will mechanically select the proper framelines on a camera body that has that feature, but the Bessas have manual frameline selection with a switch on the top of the camera, part of keeping the cost down and the photographer's mind on the work.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ok, I will play around with it and report back at some point. Thanks for the explanations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're welcome. Have fun with the R3A. It's one of my favorite cameras.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin