Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,237   Online: 1084

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Old, odd, cameras need repair, but where?

I have two cameras that need repair: Petri Color 35 (needs a new cds cell) and a Olympus Pen S (28/3.5) (advances two frames a time!). The local store in Stockholm has run out of spare parts and cannot do it unfortunately. So I've tried to identify other repair shops abroad. I've contacted Essex Camera for an estimate but I'm open ears for other repair shops if you know any - regardless where ever they are in the world.
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i don't know about the petri,
    but this guy
    used to work at olympus and works on pen's
    when i was going to buy my ft, i spoke with him
    and he was very helpful.
    he is located in new york ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    KEH (http://www.keh.com/) also handles repairs. I don't think they can fabricate parts, but they might be able to help you. When there are no more parts, the only source becomes other cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Essex has done great work on numerous cameras for me, Rollei (TLR, 35, baby) as well as Contax III have all been serviced by them in the past few years with no issues and done. The thing to remember any repair will probably run you close to what you paid for the camera, as long as that works for you then they may be a good bet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Newton Ellis & Co of Liverpool England
    http://www.camerashop.btinternet.co.uk/
    are great for older cameras - they were able to source a new cell for a Leicameter M for me. Other posters to this thread are correct in saying that a repair will cost as much as you paid for the camera, but it is often the case that there are no examples of an older camera that DON't need repair and, once your camera is fixed, it should last a long time.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the new suggestions! I'm prepared to spend some money on these cameras, they are so fun to use!
    - You will develop when you become an analog photographer / Exposed Material / Monochromes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just an update: I ended up sending the cameras to Newton Ellis & Co because the answered my e-mails promptly and appeared eager to repair my cameras. They also had a fair price (£130 incl shipping fee and VAT for both cameras). They also accepted PayPal so that made things easier as well. Repairment and shipping was fast - 1.5 weeks from sending to receiving the cameras!
    Now, someone may think if it was worth it? For me, yes. Both cameras are fun to use and slip easily in to the pockets of my jacket, they are all manual, battery independent, and will hopefully last for many years from now on...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good to know that it isn't just me that likes them! You are right, Newton Ellis have some classic camera fans among their staff and enjoy repairing them!

Best regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Camtech, is the guy. See earlier posts on this question. He has probablly breathed new life into 20+ Olympus cameras for me. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There is a very good man in Hampshire who repairs all sorts of film cameras at very reasonable prices. His address is:-

Aztech Services,
    The Workshop,
    Oakwood,
    Ringwood Road,
    Bransgore,
    Dorset
    BH23 8AA

His name is Dave Ilott, Telephone 01425 674004

Tony

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin