Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 814

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hadn't noticed about the prices -- but I think that's good news since these were undervalued for quite a while. Coming out not long before digital, and at about the time APS came in, and added to that the fact they got orphaned by Kyocera, meant that the resale values of these have taken a beating. But they are really fine pieces of equipment, and the lenses are comparable to anyone's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Contax G Lens Price & Information Guide written a couple of years ago:

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/contaxg.htm

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At one point, Zorkendorfor, would adapt, the CV 12 & 15 mm lenses to Contax G mount. This was before CV brought out a camera with aperture priority. I was even told by Contax reps, that there was a Contax Gdigital, in the works.
    I wish, Cosina, would pick-up the Contax line. Now that Fuji, has lost Nikon has a supplier for their S5, maybe they should start producing Contax's under the Fuji name.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's not quite as simple as that. Apart from the tooling, if the lens line, mount and electronics are to be continued, there's also the bigger issue of the Contax name, which is owned by Carl Zeiss AG.

Just like you can't make cars and call them Ford or Chevrolet or Honda, you can't use the Contax name freely.

The Zeiss agreement with Kyocera has expired by now, but little has been said about any future line of cameras. Zeiss has its own rangefinder system (produced by Cosina). But it hasn't publicly said whether the Contax name will be revived with a new line of gear.

Given the current global economy, it's probably not the best time to launch a new camera system. To be fair, most systems are in the works well before they're publicly announced. So it's possible that Zeiss is waiting for an improvement in the economy. Or it's equally possible that the Contax name will be put to rest for now.

An FAQ about the Contax brand.

Note that Zeiss isn't ruling out anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    It's not quite as simple as that. Apart from the tooling, if the lens line, mount and electronics are to be continued, there's also the bigger issue of the Contax name, which is owned by Carl Zeiss AG.

Just like you can't make cars and call them Ford or Chevrolet or Honda, you can't use the Contax name freely.

The Zeiss agreement with Kyocera has expired by now, but little has been said about any future line of cameras. Zeiss has its own rangefinder system (produced by Cosina). But it hasn't publicly said whether the Contax name will be revived with a new line of gear.

Given the current global economy, it's probably not the best time to launch a new camera system. To be fair, most systems are in the works well before they're publicly announced. So it's possible that Zeiss is waiting for an improvement in the economy. Or it's equally possible that the Contax name will be put to rest for now.

An FAQ about the Contax brand.

Note that Zeiss isn't ruling out anything.
    I did say, I wish. But, in the same way that Sony,
    went & picked-up Minolta's camera & lens designs &
    Kenko, went & picked-up Minolta's Meter's, it could happen. One of the things about Capitalism is that a
    good design, seldom gets neglected. Just because
    the company holding it, is gone, doesn't mean that
    the designs can't be resurrected.

As far as the N camera system is concerned, the only
    mistake that Contax made, was that the camera
    didn't control the variable aperture zoom lens, like the Canon's do.

In other words, given an f 3.5 - 5.6 zoom lens, when you set the lens at f 5.6, no matter where you zoom, the camera keeps the lens set at f 5.6.
    Last edited by Vanishing Point Ent.; 04-15-2009 at 03:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    looking for another G2 body as well, I did a series of photos in completely dark rooms where I could not see to focus, the G2 with the various lens did the job!! great little camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The original price drop happened after the G2 was introduced & Contax couldn't give the G1 away. The camera was then offered with a "free" lens, flash or combo package.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a G2 for a good while but eventually the noise got to me and I couldn't take it anymore. Great lenses and the AF worked very well. It was a unique system with a solid feel, and very sexy in black, although I owned the other version. Always seemed to me that they were undervalued.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, actually it was Kyocera that "couldn't give the G1 away." Contax is simply a brand name (licensed from Carl Zeiss AG) and not a company.

Even if Cosina (or Sony) wanted to revive the Contax name, it would have to do so in concert with Zeiss. Zeiss would have the final say and not Cosina (or another manufacturer), if Cosina wanted to make a Contax-branded camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Well, actually it was Kyocera that "couldn't give the G1 away." Contax is simply a brand name (licensed from Carl Zeiss AG) and not a company.
    Kyocera, Contax, it's the same product and it boils down to wrong product, wrong time.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin