Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,121   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Contax G1: "Collectable Modern Classic" or just over priced?

I have been the lucky owner of a G1 since it was fresh out of the box all those years ago. It came with a case, strap, flash 35mm and 90mm lenses. And it was either a steal or a fabulous deal because the used prices seem to be creeping up to close to the new prices. Now I am in the market for a 28mm lens and perhaps an extra body. So what gives with the prices? A couple of years ago they were nowhere near what they are now. Did someone write an article? Is it because the Leicas and the new Zeiss Ikons are out of the price range of most folks? The G1 and G2 never got the real celebrity endorsement thing going. I know Juergen Teller uses a G2, but that's only one "famous" guy. Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a happy G1 user too. I really like the lenses. My guess is that the prices are due to the fact there is nothing quite like it - the AF, the lens quality and build quality and at the price - on the market. I had a Bessa-R for a while and which I eventually sold because I preferred the Contax.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think that they are now recognised as the quality equipment that they are, whereas when they were marketed they were perceived as very expensive; which they were. My only concern is with the durability of the electronics, however I expect any problems in that area are many years away.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm another very happy G1 owner, although I will at some point upgrade to a G2, because of the faster autofocus and higher top shutter speed, and the ability to use all the lenses equally well (the original spec G1 doesn't always work well with the 90, and it can't handle the 35, 21 or the zoom).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can anyone comment on how it compares to the AX?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The AX is an SLR and the G is a viewfinder camera. I don't think you can easily compare the two. Aside from the fact that they both were made by Kyocera, there's not much else you can add.

The lenses aren't interchangeable between the two cameras. They both are autofocus. The AX achieved this by moving the film plane backward and forward. The G uses the more-common method of having the lens handle the focusing.

Regarding prices, factor in inflation as well. Plus, camera lenses with the Zeiss name attached to them seem to hold their value better than their counterparts (except for Leica, which is in its own category).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. I also should factor in the "Microsoft Effect" considering the part of the world I live in. Prices tend to skew toward those in the more money then sense club out this way. My G1 has worked well with all my 90 lens. It's taken many head shots and traveled to Mexico with me last year. Thanks for all the input, I'll keep looking!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very expensive is relative... the lens performance is neck-in-neck with Leica (though often a stop or so slower) from one stop down and on, at a small fraction of the price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, I have noticed the prices on the bay. I started looking into an extra body after a less-than-stellar service experience with Contax on the east coast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The weak dollar could well be a factor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin