Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,636   Online: 1151

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I picked up a very clean 1957 Zorki 4 for about $50 US including shipping from Ukraine. Came with a Jupiter 8 and is in beautiful condition. first test images were very sharp, and looked good even wide open. I also picked up a Canon 50mm f1.2 LTM to go with it. I went with the Zorki instead of the Leica III so I could spare some money for M30 optics. So far, I love the Zorki.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Leather Covering - Another option

Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    "Technical condition perfect ... shutter quite wrinkly [!]"

PS: The vulcanite people are these:
    http://www.angelfire.com/biz/Leica/vulcanite.html
    That's the same place I found to revulcanize. But, it's all blurring together, because then I found this one. I haven't tried either one though so I can't speak to their quality.

You have to laugh at some of the things that show up on e-bay (unless, of course, you end up with one of them). Not a bad price with a Summitar, but that description would have kept me away - if it's wrinkly it probably has holes (or will soon) and a shutter replacement on a III is a daunting (and/or expensive) task.
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Re: complete disassembly.
    To remove the camera from the body sheath is no more than 8 or ten screws.
    Hardest part is keeping track of the shims under the lens mount.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've got a Leica III from 1936 that I had CLA'd and it works just great. What a wonderful sound when the shutter fires! As for flash sync, I bought a small synchronizer doo-hickey that attaches to the rotating shutter speed dial and strikes a little cog against an additional flash shoe, setting off the flash. Depending on how you mount the doo-hickey on the dial, it will sync for either bulb or electronic flash. Cool -- another "need" to buy another gadget!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

OOOHH, OOOHH!! I want one!!!

Got a link to the sync gizmo you're talking about? Sounds very cool.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jolefler View Post
    Got a link to the sync gizmo you're talking about? Sounds very cool.
    One here (Picture may take a while to load):
    http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/RARE-VINTAGE...ayphotohosting

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'll take some photos of the sync doo-hickey and post tonight.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    OK, I didn't have to take pictures of my unit because I found a photo of one on that auction site (see photo). It's a Geiss Kontakt Synchronizer. The one in this photo says "3C" on top of the knob, while mine says 3A. I think there may have been a couple of different models to fit the various screwmount Leicas.

The knob goes on the rotating shutter speed dial, and the little "bump" that sticks out the side hits a spring-loaded contact on the side of the accessory hot shoe. And -- flash!

I bet you can find more info by googling Geiss Kontakt or Geiss Synchro.

I can copy my set of instructions for anyone who needs them. It's pretty cool!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 832b_1.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Hakosyn

My version of the little flash sync doohicky is called a Hakosyn. Comes in a little sheetmetal case that's got a 3C in the lower right corner and is also marked Made in Germany. I've had it for 20 years or more but I'd bet you can find one on ebay occassionally (not right now though, I just checked)

Dan

PS Picture being worth a thousand words, I just added one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3733.jpg  
    Last edited by Fotoguy20d; 02-02-2008 at 04:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added Photo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am probably the odd one here, but my vote for the best LTM camera for a user is the Canon P. Well under a $1000, no need for a sycn addition or add on view finder for 35mm or 100mm lens.

Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin