Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,060   Online: 890

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Lost shots and lens caps

I recently switched to rangefinders after 20 years of using slrs, and I keep forgetting to remove the lens cap. Almost every film used has two or three shots lost because in my haste to get a good shot I forget that I havent removed the cap. I wish there was a warning in the viewfinder. My wife keeps muttering 'photographer? Or film waster?' Tell me I'm not the only one who does this?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to the "lens cap anonymous club". I use both SLR and RF. I'm getting better with RF to remember to remove the lens cap - but it still happens once in a while.

It's like anything else, as time goes by the "duhs" will diminish as it becomes second nature to either:
    1) remember to check the lens first or,
    2) take it off and leave it off when you're out shooting (this is easier in nice weather)

Good luck. RF is fun and remember - some the best composed shots are the backs of lens caps!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lens caps are for storing lenses away when not being used. If a lens is on a camera, even if the camera is in the camera bag, I don't have a cap on it. I use UV filters and lens hoods. I've done this with SLRs as well as rangefinders as long as I can remember and it's a great way to prevent taking a picture of the inside of a lens cap.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thomsonrc, don't feel bad. I've only been using rangefinder cameras for about 55 years, and still occasionally forget to remove the lens cap. At least it's not as complicated as the count-down procedure for shooting a Speed Graphic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need to remove the cap to install a hood. Use the proper lenshood.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just remember if you go topless with your rangefinder and you're outside in bright sun and stop for some wobbly pop, keep the lens pointed down so the sun doesn't fry a hole in your shutter.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    Lens caps are for storing lenses away when not being used. If a lens is on a camera, even if the camera is in the camera bag, I don't have a cap on it. I use UV filters and lens hoods. I've done this with SLRs as well as rangefinders as long as I can remember and it's a great way to prevent taking a picture of the inside of a lens cap.
    I keep a cap on to prevent dust. Constantly cleaning dust off of any glass surface can't be good for the glass (especially expensive glass, filters included) - fine scratches will appear before long - good for lowering contrast by diffusion, though.

On some dry days the filter is like a dust magnet.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Been there, done that, but depending on the camera there can be a viewfinder warning: the light meter stops working.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you insist on using the hood you can put a piece of masking tape & put it on the cap extending into the finder area.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I never used caps. The filter and hood offer enough lens protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin