Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,140   Online: 1035

Shooter
    35mm RF

Who repairs Kodak Retina cameras?

I just purchased a IIc on ebay and the shutter is completely stuck and/or the wind mechanism that resets the shutter has a problem.

I am not technical enough to tear it apart and fix it myself, so I'm curious of where to send it to be cleaned and repaired.

The camera otherwise looks promising and has the f2.8 Schneider-Kreuznach lens.

Thanks for any leads!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This guy isn't very convenient for the states, but he has a good rep; http://rawhiti.tripod.com/index.html
    KEH is also a possibility

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luke_h View Post
    I just purchased a IIc on ebay and the shutter is completely stuck and/or the wind mechanism that resets the shutter has a problem.

I am not technical enough to tear it apart and fix it myself, so I'm curious of where to send it to be cleaned and repaired.

The camera otherwise looks promising and has the f2.8 Schneider-Kreuznach lens.

Thanks for any leads!
    There are 2 things you can try yourself:
    1) Hit it with a very big hammer or
    2) Reset the film counter away from 0 and towards 36.
    Exhaustive tests have shown that method 2) works better .

If it still doesn't work, Newton Ellis & Co.
    www.newtonellis.co.uk
    of Liverpool England can fix it for sure, but so can any competent repairperson. The IIc is relatively simple by Retina standards, it doesn't have a light meter to go wrong or a long piece of string inside the body (I kid you not) linking the shutter, aperture and meter.

Regards,

David

PS: If actual repair is necessary, this shows what may be needed:
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/retinarack.html
    Last edited by David H. Bebbington; 02-09-2008 at 08:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Adding PS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest method #2

I have a Retina 3c that I thought was stuck...but it was just the film counter was at 36 which locks up shutter/film advance automatically...once I found online how to reset the counter...it worked fine again

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is the reference for the film counter:
    http://rawhiti.tripod.com/retina2cmanual2.html
    (counter in fact goes from [max.no. of exposures] down to 1 and then camera locks up).

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nah, my issue is that the wind lever is skipping off of the gears that make it recock the shutter. And the shutter itself may be frozen. There's not visible oil on the blades on either side, but it's possible it's frozen since everything was all gummed up when I rotated the shutter speed dial. If it's going to cost me more than the going price of a CLAed IIc, I'll probably try to figure out how to take it apart myself, but from what I read, the cocking rack is broken in mine and needs replaced.

Shooter
    35mm
    Try essexcamera.com or keh.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cocking rack

Microtools has or had the racks.. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by luke_h View Post
    Nah, my issue is that the wind lever is skipping off of the gears that make it recock the shutter. And the shutter itself may be frozen. There's not visible oil on the blades on either side, but it's possible it's frozen since everything was all gummed up when I rotated the shutter speed dial. If it's going to cost me more than the going price of a CLAed IIc, I'll probably try to figure out how to take it apart myself, but from what I read, the cocking rack is broken in mine and needs replaced.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I forgot to check up on the thread. I removed the top of the camera to get a looksee at the cocking rack and mine is indeed devoid of its teeth:

I'll be in contact with micro-tools shortly to purchase the replacement part.

I manually cocked the shutter and it fires, so that's promising.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin