Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,844   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Leica 50mm Summicron - Is this Normal?

Is this normal? I just purchased my first Leica (M7) along with a 50mm/f2 Summicron. The lens is used but good condition. When I went to mount it I noticed that the rear brass inner barrel appears to be chipped right where the bayonet curves down. Iíve attached a photo below. The chip follows the bayonet curve so closely that Iím second-guessing myself as to whether this is correct or not. Can someone take a look at the back of their lens to see if the brass inner barrel looks like this?

Thanks,

ND
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7739.JPG   IMG_7737.jpg  

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulation on your M7 and don't worry about the "Chip", it is normal. The the cam for paralax adjustment is moving in and out in that space.

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All's as it should be there. The helicoid needs to be cut down following the steering curve of the bajonet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks a ton! I'll sleep better tonight. I spent the day wondering how I was going to explain to my wife that I just paid $800 for a broken lens! Regards, Nick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They're all pulling your leg. The lens is horribly broken. Just send it to me for a decent burial.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    They're all pulling your leg. The lens is horribly broken. Just send it to me for a decent burial.
    Damn, I have three with the same or similar conditions. If you promise to give them proper burials under headstones made from original MP or M3 top-plates I might consider to send them to you instead of taking them to the Leitz burial grounds in Wetzlar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did anyone notice how nicely machined the fracture was?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok.. at the risk of being laughed at... please see attached picture. This is also a Leica 50mm/2 Summicron. Look at the inner copper ring, you can see it through the nickel colored bayonet curve. This is not true on my lens (see photos in 1st post). The inner copper cylinder on my lens seems to have been shaved down. I'm not talking about the machined curve in the lens mount, i'm talking about the copper colored ring behind it. The copper ring in this photo appears to be the same height all the way around, on mine it's shaved down to follow the curve of the mount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leica50F2Mfoto.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I’m sorry I was a bit daft in my previous post. Try focusing the lens and you will se the “copper ring” moving up and down. You will be able to replicate the appearance of the third picture you posted.

Cheers

Claes
    Last edited by Uhner; 02-26-2008 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: It’s cocktail hour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might add that this movement enables the rangefinder in the camera to know the focus distance of the lens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin