Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,868   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Sold my G2

I switched from the G2 system to Leica M's, and sold my G2 to someone much younger than I. He appears to be quite happy with it. It has a lot of nice features not commonly found on RF cameras, plus outstanding Zeiss lenses. My gripes:
    - viewfinder quite small, especially for older eyes.
    - poor autofocus -- operates on straight lines only.
    - manual focus with knob on front and tiny display in viewfinder. Doesn't work well for me.
    - flimsy shutter. If you're a klutz, chances are you'll poke a finger through it sometime (as I did) -- a $350 repair job.
    I eventually supplemented my Ms with a Leica CM Zoom (now discontinued, I understand). Very solid and well-built. For the autowind, autofocus tasks, I like it better than the G2.

BTW, please let me know if you're selling Hassy equipment.
    Mike Richards' Mobile Me gallery, including the Holocaust and Turkey Expo.

Shooter
    35mm

wow and thanks you all !!!

Totally zapped with your responses many many thanks.

I found the comments really usefull.

I did look at rangefinder MF but decided against it ; had a brief encounter with a mamya 7 [ not mine ] and it's not my kind of machine.The bronica 645Rf is good but most of my stuff is landscape format so the camera is the wrong way up for me.

Yes the Leica M gear is fabulous but at a price I cannot reach so the G2 is still in the frame.

Sorry but Iv'e already got a buyer for the Blad stuff if I decide to take the plunge.

I do have a very nice Ziess Ikon super Ikonta that I will still use so the loss of those lovely square negs will not be too painfull.

Many many thanks to all of you.

BOB ROBERTSON ROCHDALE UK.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One more point of view.
    I think the G2 was one of the nicest designed cameras of all time (except for manual focus) and the lens quality was outstanding.
    I look at a lot of photos for my job. I've seen some great photographs taken with 35mm and have taken some poor snapshots with 8x10. Since I tend to shoot mostly 8x10 negs myself I feel free to say this... a great photo has little to do with quality and a lot to do with the emotion that you feel from looking at it. So of course 35mm will "hold up" to whatever size you want to go... it just won't be grainless like a larger negative.
    So if you're willing to give up a drop of quality but willing to gain... low light shooting because of fast lenses... quicker reactions because the camera sets up faster... lighter gear that you might actually bring along.... the bokeh you get from a F1.4 lens... and all the other advantages that the 35mm brings to the table... go for it.
    I know that I would rather look at some interesting photographs taken with 35mm or smaller for that matter, than a bunch of flawless snaps with no grain and endless midtones that had nothing to say.
    I've always loved the free-er look that 35mm brings.
    And if I ever get a great shot on 35mm I'm going to blow it up as large as i can.
    -rob
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my personal favorites is the 20x30 inch color print that hangs on my bedroom wall. It is a shot of a Southern Arizona Mesa - lit by the rising sun -.
    I made the original transparency in December, 1985, on 35mm Fuji Velvia 50 - with my M3 Leica and my Visoflex with my 65mm 3.5 Leitz Canada Elmar.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 02-14-2008 at 11:53 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: error
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The G2 system is a great choice - poor manual focus notwithstanding - I have made some of my personal favourite images using it. There will always be a trade off in size/quality. Whilst I do not consider myself old just yet I do wear glasses and didn't find the small-ish viewfinder an issue, it is something you just need to work with - like all tools!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you considered a Voigtlander Bessa R series? They seem like very good cameras and they allow the use of all the Leitz/Leica lenses. No autofocus but a range of viewfinder choices that make them very appealing.

Just a thought.

Shooter
    35mm

three more helpfull comments

Hi.

thanks for your points of view.
    Particularly Rob who's got it right.
    why worry about the format or size it is the image itself that matters

I beleived going back to 35mm is the right thing for me to do right now
    and with the buget I have to work to the Contax is a pretty good choice.
    O.K there will be things that are more difficult and perhaps not as good
    but some of the work I like doing will be easier.

I guess a good 10 x 8 is just as interesting as a 16 x 12
    I read in another forum that a smaller prints make the viwer take more time
    to look at it so that could become an important factor as well.

regards to you all BOB.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Being a man of not-unlimited-means, I chose a used G2 over the M and I could not be happier. A friend of mine who happens to be of nearly-unlimited-means gave me (and I am not making this up) two Leica bodies and a mess of lenses, cases, filters, books. I have to lie to him from time to time about how much I use them, because I don't. I am terrified to. I will probably auction them for charity when he passes. I couldn't walk around with six grand hanging around my neck. Or stick it out the window of a train, or wade up to me neck in the lake. Just couldn't do it.

Serviceability might be an issue in the future with the G2. My one and only episode with Contax USA was unpleasant and expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Zeiss Icon is the best choice today. Super lenses and reliable camera. Get it and ignore what is offered around.

Leica camera M used to be good, but "new and improved" M are garbage. Today more than ever is valid **the value of Leica camera is that it can fit Leica lens**. However and lenses they make now as Summarit are nothing better than Rusian Zorki. If You like Leica M get M3, but today Zeiss lenses are masters for Leica. Hope you got me.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Is there a republished manual for the zorki Russian or English is ok.
    Thanks
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin