Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,104   Online: 886

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Contax G2 is it good enough ?

Hi Everybody

I'm new to this site so bear with me if I don't know the rules yet

I'm having a real look at changing from a hasselblad outfit over to
    35mm rangefinder as the Blad / lenses and Manfrotto are getting too
    much of a load for my old bones.

I have looked at what seems to be the two front runners namely Leica M
    and Contax G and Like the look of both. BUT the cost of the Leica is intimidatingly high for such a small bit of metal.

The G2 reads as if it's got everthing I want but is the image quality good
    enough to knock out exhibition quality 16 x 12 monochromes ?

Ok I know I won't get Blad graduation and freedom from grain and I won't
    be making 20 x 16's either but what do you guys who have these camera really have to say on this.

Love the humour of the threads especially from down under.

If Amy's dad in melbourne reads this then I say Hi from Andrea's grand-dad.

pquser...rochdale uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the lenses certainly are and the build quality of the G2 body is wonderful. I had one and a bunch of lenses for a few years. The 2 main reasons I got rid of the system was the fairly dim viewfinder and the autofocus returning to infinity position after every shot. Just drove me crazy. I did love the aperture priority metering and autowind/rewind. I say keep the Hasselblad and pick up a clean used M body and a few lenses.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Contax G2 is plenty good enough, if you are. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Enjoy the machine.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For a nice, slow fine-grained film it should be okay, but going up to 16 x 12 would be pushing it a bit. Some claim that 12 x 16 is about the limit before the grain starts getting intrusive for 35mm.

I think the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder would be a better investment
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you considered a medium format rangefinder?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The G2 is a very fine piece. Note that you can sometimes find a G2-converted G1 at lower cost.

I don't see how to compare the ZI or the Leica M series to the G2. Totally different tools. On what basis can you compare them, resale value? No camera worth buying has any resale value after you use it as much as it was intended to be used. Lenses? On that point the G2 wins hands down, in terms of bang for buck. So then what other complaint is there... the G2 AF system hunts more than the AF system on a ZI or Leica M? If you want manual focus then look at a ZI or Leica M or bessa or old CLE or hexar. But for AF, you have to compare apples to apples... compare the G2 to the konica hexar AF for example.

Yes, 35mm will deliver high quality 16x12 prints, no question. But if that is really a concern then see for yourself, don't ask online because we'll all have to suffer through all the familiar speeches. Look, if you decide that 35mm isn't for you but you still want a lighter body than your hassie, then consider the Mamiya 6/6MF/7/7ii RFs, or an older folder, or join the vigil for the new Fuji folder!
    Last edited by keithwms; 02-13-2008 at 08:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have had both the Leica M6 and the Contax G2. I personally made better photographs with the Contax, I enjoyed using the M more and both made really small negatives. I'm just not good enough to make decent prints from tiny negatives. For me, the Mamiya 6 is as small as I will go. I agree with Robert about the MF rangefinder. I'd also add that a good condition Rolleiflex might fit the bill for portability as well (not to mention retaining the wonderful Zeiss lens qualities that you are already accustomed to). Good luck.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Contax G2 is a fantastic camera - I've loved my G1, and drooled over getting a G2 as an upgrade. Some of the best color photos I've ever shot have come from that camera. Dim viewfinder??? I don't know what you're talking about. May not be as bright as a Leica M, but it's brighter than just about any SLR you'll ever use, and the auto-masking for parallax compensation is nothing short of brilliant. Same with the viewfinder zooming.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Contax G2 and it is a fantastic camera.

However, I also have 2 Mamiya 7 II 6x7 rangefinders. My G2 mostly sits in its case unused.

The Mamiya 7 II 6x7s are the easy-to-carry cameras that I actually use (one for Color, one for Black and White).

My other heavily used camera is my Wehman 8x10 Field Camera.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin