Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,909   Online: 941

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Metroman, the Q&A with Andreas Kaufmann was very interesting.

I didn't know that the company was (or appears to be) controlled by a single major shareholder.

I like his reply to one question where he states that he comes from a long line of entrepreneurs, with a name like Kaufmann that would be a certainty.

Kauf in German means to sell or purchase and mann is man, so his family name means he is a salesman, more or less.

Mick.

As a member of LHSA I can offer this much information. Leica is returning to new premises in Leitz Park back in Wetzlar. Both are owned by the Kaufman family.
    The M8 is successful. A friend of mine who has used the 'other' popular family of digital cameras for years tells me that his M8 outperforms them.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

The M8 will be factory upgradeable.
    Sensors are supplied by Kodak
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don, regarding that review and the comments on sharpness, this is a simple issue, the M8 has no lowpass filter. Now, I really don't like the idea of letting some canned software do moire removal for me, that should be something one can do externally using a raw camera file. You can inexpensively take the AA filter off a 5D and it will give you more sharpness, and you can also take the raw file and do moire reduction if necessary. Best of both worlds.

Also, having to use an external hot (and maybe also cold) mirror on the M8 is an immediate disqualifier for me. Especially using premium wide and fast lenses, that is a very bitter pill. It is inexplicable to me that some who know better can't admit that this is a big deal for people who shoot wide angles and/or fast lenses.

Frankly I think Leica pulled a hoodwink here: if Leica had said upfront that people would sometimes have to put a hot mirror over their prized lenses, how many cameras would have sold? Fewer, far fewer. They knew very well that the camera had major issues, but pushed it to market prematurely. I suspect that this is why their Chairman was fired. Now after all these insults to the intelligence of RFers, Leica has a dodgy upgrade program and they are trying to sell sapphire covers at high cost... What can I say that isn't obvious.

Anyway enough discussion of digital problems, let the digital sites deal with this stuff. I just hated to see digital pull Leica down.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Anyway enough discussion of digital problems, let the digital sites deal with this stuff. I just hated to see digital pull Leica down.
    I see this just the opposite. By creating a digital version of the classic rangefinder, Leica are extending and expanding the classic Leica image, and can generate a revenue stream that can help support the film based cameras they still produce. It also helps ensure the continued availability of great Leica lenses. Plenty of working photographers "have" to use digital because their clients demand it, so to get work, you have to do what the client wants.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I see this just the opposite. By creating a digital version of the classic rangefinder, Leica are extending and expanding the classic Leica image, and can generate a revenue stream that can help support the film based cameras they still produce. It also helps ensure the continued availability of great Leica lenses. Plenty of working photographers "have" to use digital because their clients demand it, so to get work, you have to do what the client wants.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-digital by any means, I simply think this camera wasn't the right way for Leica to go and sincerely hope that it wasn't too costly to their reputation and their finances. I do wish them well and if their next DRF were to my liking, I would consider it.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    For those of you doubting the quality of the Leica M8 you may wish to read this article by Dick Arentz published in Range Finder magazine.

http://www.rangefindermag.com/magazine/Jan08/86.pdf

As it happened I shot an M8 today and it is a terrific camera, so I don't think Leica has mis-stepped here.

Leicas are expensive instruments, and have always had a limited market due to that expense. But the Leicaphile knows what non Leica users don't; the cameras produce distinctive looking images and the quality of their products are unsurpassed in many ways. Their are no MF range finder cameras, other than the Mamiya 7, that can really hold a candle to the quality that the Leica glass and cameras can produce and this quality extends equally well to the M8.

IMO, the M8 will be a success, in as much as any Leica RF can be. IOW, not everyone will be wearing them but those that can afford the Leica will find their investment worth while and rewarding.
    Very good reasoning based on the history of film and camera manufacturers, but I see a glitch. Other than the R module and a few point and shoot ventures with Panasonic, Leica is far behind the digital times compared to the big boys like Nikon and Canon. Nowadays it's not about the money and exclusivity that having a small Leica around your neck carried. There are less expensive and much more expensive outfits out there that produce stunning images. I have seen Uncle Bob at the local zoo carrying around a Canon 1D Mark II with a 70-200mm 2.8 IS-L and a 300mm 2.8 IS-L in the bag. Just when I thought he was the only one with high end gear, I turned around and saw a bunch of others with "cheaper" 5D's and Nikon D2X's, etc.

Nowadays if you want a "showey" camera, Nikon and Canon have plenty to choose from. If you want outstanding image quality, Nikon, Canon, and others are there as well. It takes more than just good optics to capture really good digital images. The image sensor is equally important. With all the technology today (Nikon producing some type of nano crystal coating and ultra sharp lenses), many camera and lensmakers can produce outstanding optics. In the digital world it is now truely the camera you carry that makes the difference in terms of image quality.

I'm sure that Leica will catch up, maybe even surpass the big boys some day. Maybe with the M9...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon and canon don't make a rangefinder and some find that when using it within its strengths nothing comapres to a RF -- I know I do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin