Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,993   Online: 1141

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ok, rangefinder setup specifically for 28/2 and 20/2.8

I don't really like my wides on SLR cameras, so I'm using SLRs for normal and telephoto.

I have fixed lens rangefinders for normal lenses.

I need good wides. And I need them to be fast and of good quality. Good wides are the only reason for me to invest in coupled rangefinders.

I'd want a leica, but I'm thinking bessa is also appropriate in terms of bodies.

I tried canon autofocus 20mm, 24mm L and 28/1.8 and I'm not satisfied at all and in general hate the canon L line because the lenses are huge. Canon FD 28/2.8 is nice, but slow.

I want wides and I want them to be unique with no equivalents for SLRs. For example all the wides for rangefinders from 20 to 28 at f/4 are not really interesting to me, because my 17-40 is quite a nice and contrasty lens.

15mm heliar is one unique lens which I'd like to get, or the zeiss 15/2.8
    35/1.2 is another thing which I will get eventually

You can't get equivalents of those lenses for SLRs

I'd also like a 28/2 or faster
    And maybe a 20mm, f/2.8 with quality markedly better than SLR lenses like that. If there's a 20 f/2, I'd love that.

I understand good things cost money.

What would you recommend that would suit the requirements?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Zeiss all the way. I have recently bought the Zeiss Ikon rangefinder. The body is very nice to use and the viewfinder is so large! Sometimes the led display in the viewfinder is difficult to see, but that's the only (very minor) niggle.

The Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 Biogon is also superb, although the finder is ridiculously expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Zeiss ZM lenses are excellent, although in a 15mm I'd get the Voigtlander because of price. I have one and it is very good.. I would use them on a Voigtlander R4A/M camera. It has a finder designed for wide angle lenses, no need for separate viewfinders.

Richard Wasserman

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leica makes a 28/2 for the M mount. It costs about $3,600 new, but people seem to love it. Cosina Voigtlander makes an Ultron 28/1.9 that's less than $500. It's large, but people seem to love it. Leica makes a 35/1.4 that's very nice, but it is in the same price range as their 28 cron. CV makes two fast 35s, a 1.2 and a new 1.4. CV really could be your best bet; they have a very broad lineup. I would look on the Cameraquest website for a nice rundown on the whole line. And, if you can give up one stop, I would second the Zeiss recommendation. These lenses are fantastic.

If you pursue the excellent suggestion of the CV R4 camera for your wide lenses, I've read that the camera works best with physically smaller lenses. But most of the faster lenses are bigger (except for the new CV 35/1.4). If you chose faster lenses that are bigger, you likely will need accessory viewfinders, but can use any M mount rangefinder.

-Laura

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    If you pursue the excellent suggestion of the CV R4 camera for your wide lenses, I've read that the camera works best with physically smaller lenses. But most of the faster lenses are bigger (except for the new CV 35/1.4). If you chose faster lenses that are bigger, you likely will need accessory viewfinders, but can use any M mount rangefinder.

-Laura
    Why does the lens size matter for a camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    Why does the lens size matter for a camera?
    I assume large lenses will block the built-in viewfinder.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...and you'd be correct. Not every large lens on every rangefinder camera, of course, but enough so that you'd better check before you buy to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I assume large lenses will block the built-in viewfinder.
    And I might add that it has a lot to do with the balance of a camera.

I didn't think this meant much until I had a camera that always hung with the lens pulling it forward. After a while, it becomes a real drag on your neck.

If you never hang a camera from your neck -- and some people don't -- it's not an issue. But if you do, a well-balanced camera takes on more meaning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For me, it also depends on how blocked the viewfinder is going to be. I wouldn't put the 35/1.2 on the R4A/M, but apparently the 35/1.4 is smaller and more easily mounts on the camera.

When I had a Canon P, I remember that the 35mm Ultron I borrowed just slightly blocked the viewfinder, but not enough to have any effect on taking photos.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    I concur with the comments about the 15mm Heliar for LTM. It's a great bargain even though it's a bit "slow". It deserves status as a modern classic. The Kobalux 21mm F2.8 in LTM is a "bargain" too -- in a relative sense! These seem to get $500-800 depending on condition, finders, etc.
    Last edited by davela; 02-28-2008 at 08:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin