Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,219   Online: 780

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    Not to threadjack, but if anyone here would know maybe you guys would --

I've been having Leica Lust for a while now. I don't care much about a meter (my sekonic L-308s is frighteningly accurate), but I've heard horror stories about loading III series Leicas (which I could go for since I have a couple of tack-sharp russian lenses with which Ive been suffering Fed horrors) and heard that M3s and M4's aren't much easier.

Suggestions? Any shortcuts to loading a III? I love rangefinders (My Kiev 4 with its Sonnar clone is just awesome) but would really love the bulletproof reliability and fit/finish of a Leica.
    I think you may be quite happy with a Voightlander Bessa R-2.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The M8 might have been worth a place in the bag with a full frame sensor, but for an extreme wide angle user like me it's not even worth a look.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suggestions? Any shortcuts to loading a III? I love rangefinders (My Kiev 4 with its Sonnar clone is just awesome) but would really love the bulletproof reliability and fit/finish of a Leica.[/QUOTE]

About two years ago, I left my Nikons and misc. 4X5 gear to venure into Barnacks. The whole loading thing is way overblown. I cut my leaders to the width of my hand with small scissors, no template. Since starting, and about 150' of film later, I've had one roll not load properly. That one just slipped off the take-up spool, the error detected a couple of frames later when the cassette side didn't rotate during winding.

A little patience and the price of two CLA's got two Leica LTM bodies, three lenses and six Leitz cassettes (worthwhile!) for less than $500.

Did I mention how sswwweeeet a CLA'd Barnack shutter sounds?

Jo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    Not to threadjack, but if anyone here would know maybe you guys would --

I've been having Leica Lust for a while now. I don't care much about a meter (my sekonic L-308s is frighteningly accurate), but I've heard horror stories about loading III series Leicas (which I could go for since I have a couple of tack-sharp russian lenses with which Ive been suffering Fed horrors) and heard that M3s and M4's aren't much easier.

Suggestions? Any shortcuts to loading a III? I love rangefinders (My Kiev 4 with its Sonnar clone is just awesome) but would really love the bulletproof reliability and fit/finish of a Leica.
    As another posting notes, the trick is to trim the film leader back half-width 100 mm (absolutely no less, a few mm more won't hurt). There is a picture of how to do this inside the baseplate of every screw-thread Leica. You do need to take out the take-up spool, attach the film and then insert the film and spool together steadily and then wind one frame before replacing the baseplate to make sure that the film is engaged with the sprocket. You should have no trouble loading correctly and reliably on the right side of half a minute.

There's just one thing (or rather two): Firstly, screw-thread Leicas were designed to be as small (pocketable) as possible - so they have very small viewfinders! Secondly, screw-thread Leicas for many years were a cheap alternative to the M series (as a student in 1969, I bought a good Leica IIIa and Summar lens for £22.50). Nowadays, the more-fancied screw-thread Leicas (IIIc, IIIf) sell for little less than an M model of comparable quality - but they're still small and pocketable!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm RF
    1 year love affair with the M8 , I'm not going to take you back. MP is not a Leica. it's too big. Unless it was made in 1959!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joel dallenbach View Post
    MP is not a Leica. it's too big. Unless it was made in 1959!
    Huh???????
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Huh???????
    You too huh?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by joel dallenbach View Post
    1 year love affair with the M8 , I'm not going to take you back. MP is not a Leica. it's too big. Unless it was made in 1959!
    Well, I have an M3 made in 59 of the 900K+ series, and I haven't a clue what the above quote is saying. What's not to like about an MP?

:rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Huh???????
    I think he's referring to the original MP, based on the M3, several copies of which were made for prominent photojournalists in the late '50's. I think they were black paint and had a hand winder on the bottom of the camera.

They are worth an awful lot of money today.

What I don't get is that the current MP should be the same size as the original MP since it doesn't have a taller top plate since it doesn't have ttl circuitry, like the M6TTL or M7 do.

Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never shot with Leica LTM (I own a M3, hence the avatar), I would treat it as a zen exercise.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin