Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,470   Online: 949

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A keyword search for Leica at http://www.abebooks.com/ lead to almost 4000 books and magazines on the subject. The older items won't give you the information you desire, but there are plenty of newer books at low prices to start your Leica reference library.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's my story and I'm sticking to it:

1. 0.72 mag. viewfinder & 28mm lens: The whole viewfinder is a 28mm field of view. The 28mm framelines aren't required. I have two otherwise indentical bodies, one with & one without the 28mm framelines. I use the 28mm M-Hexanon lens on either body. No worries.
    2. Uncapped lenses can cause burn holes in cloth shutters.
    3. Given a choice between bodies with recent CLAs and bodies without, go for the one with the recent CLA. Said another way: Figure $300 into the price of a body for a CLA.
    4. Pentax Spotmatic Metering: The best combination of meter and shutter and ergonomics and build quality, hence the best camera from a shooting standpoint, in the M line belong to the M5. The only function in the body that requires a battery is the meter.
    5. LTM lenses can be used on M bodies. Not sure if that was covered above.

YMMV.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    A keyword search for Leica at http://www.abebooks.com/ lead to almost 4000 books and magazines on the subject. The older items won't give you the information you desire, but there are plenty of newer books at low prices to start your Leica reference library.
    But I don't want a reference library. I want a cheap ugly camera that lasts.

Shooter
    35mm
    M5. I've seen them sell for under $600 with a recent CLA.

Shooter
    35mm
    and Evryone knows the M5 is Tres Ugly!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    and Evryone knows the M5 is Tres Ugly!
    Yes, I don't want that one. Even for a user. Only if the price is really right.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    Yes, I don't want that one. Even for a user. Only if the price is really right.
    That thinking keeps the price reasonable for those who appreciate the M5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually, although I own a variety of Leica's, I suggest a Bessa R as a first interchangeable lens rangefinder. For about $200 used it's a damn straight foward, powerful little film camera and less expensive than most Leica bodies. It has first rate brightline finders too and it's a piece of cake to load and use. It's also lightweight and holds it's resale value very well (especially since they recently stopped making it!).

I've found the best Voigtlander dealer is Photo Village in New York (great customer service and the best prices).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin