Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,714   Online: 921

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Back in 1987 I paid $275 US for a near mint Leica IIIF with 50mm F/2 collapsible Summicron. A few years later, hard up for cash, I sold to a friend on the promise that when I was able, he would sell it back to me for the same price he bought it. Then he promptly went to NYC and left it in a Taxi cab! Bye bye Leica....
    I suppose if you did the math adjusted for inflation, the price I paid back then was about right. At any rate, over the years I have thought about replacing it. However prices seem way too high if you're a camera user, and I have lenses just as good in their own way (Nikon AI and AIS series, Kiev Helios 50mm.) Beware the seductive Leica mystique. It has led many good photographers to buy cameras for too much money that they are afraid to use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just for information - this
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leica-IIIc-Chr...QQcmdZViewItem
    is about the "cheapest" Leica you will find. In this particular case, the viewfinder and rangefinder might just clean up, without the need for a new rangefinder prism, and the shutter/wind mechanism might work OK without a CLA, although this would be advisable as the camera seems generally dirty. So you might be able to put a lens on it for a total cost of under $300 - on the other hand, a CLA and any repair work which you find needs doing later could make the "cheap" camera expensive.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You might try KEH for screwmount Leicas. I've seen IIIC's there for 300 to 400 at the bargain grade. KEH grades very conservatively, you might be quite surpriesed.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have strange powers. I can make certain cameras appear for sale by reading about them on the internet.

I read this thread last week and then an auction was posted in our local paper listing an antique portrait camera and about 30 other antique cameras. I called the auction house, but they never called me back. I decided to drive the 60 miles to the city having the auction and look around to see if I wanted to bid on anything. The cameras were mostly old Polaroids, Kodak folding cameras and Argus. But there was one leather case that said Leica on it. It was sitting with a bunch of junk away from all of the other cameras. I opened the case and inside was a IIIc with a 50 mm f2.8 Summitar. I immediately closed it up and set it back down with the other junk. I was the only bidder and it went for less than $100.

So, Yes Veronica, there is a Santa Claus and you can find Leica's for under $300.

Oh, I also read about brass Petzval lenses, Packard shutters and Elwood 5x7 enlargers last week. Guess what was at the auction and who was the only bidder.

Wayne

Shooter
    35mm

That ain't right!

Wayne,

You're wrong for that!

Wayne
    In Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne R. Scott View Post
    I have strange powers. I can make certain cameras appear for sale by reading about them on the internet.

I read this thread last week and then an auction was posted in our local paper listing an antique portrait camera and about 30 other antique cameras. I called the auction house, but they never called me back. I decided to drive the 60 miles to the city having the auction and look around to see if I wanted to bid on anything. The cameras were mostly old Polaroids, Kodak folding cameras and Argus. But there was one leather case that said Leica on it. It was sitting with a bunch of junk away from all of the other cameras. I opened the case and inside was a IIIc with a 50 mm f2.8 Summitar. I immediately closed it up and set it back down with the other junk. I was the only bidder and it went for less than $100.

So, Yes Veronica, there is a Santa Claus and you can find Leica's for under $300.

Oh, I also read about brass Petzval lenses, Packard shutters and Elwood 5x7 enlargers last week. Guess what was at the auction and who was the only bidder.

Wayne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    Where to find leicas under 300 bucks?
    Canal St. Right next to the Rolexes.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I believe those are the ones marked Leicca or Lleica or...

Seriously though, you can find some good deals on e-bay if you're patient. I landed a 1946 IIIc with some pitted/missing chrome but perfect sharkskin for around $130. Luckily (and that's what it is), the rangefinder/viewfinder are good and the shutter compares quite well to the others I have. A few days later I managed a 1933 or so Elmar (uncoated) for around $120. So, with shipping, a great III series user for just under $300. I happen to have a decent Summar (1938 I think) and 1955 Zorki 1 that I'm about to put up on e-bay (not needing them due to the aforementioned IIIc user) if anyone's interested.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Canon rangefinders from the 50s or 60s like the VT, VI, P etc. are very well made, too, and you get them together with good lenses at bargain prices. If your budget is limited it is worth trying.

If you like it you will have a wonderful camera for a while. Later on, if you manage to marry Paris Hilton you can get new Leica bodies and aspherical lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Canon rangefinders from the 50s or 60s like the VT, VI, P etc. are very well made, too, and you get them together with good lenses at bargain prices. If your budget is limited it is worth trying.

If you like it you will have a wonderful camera for a while. Later on, if you manage to marry Paris Hilton you can get new Leica bodies and aspherical lenses
    No paris hilton for me, too skinny.

Canal St. Right next to the Rolexes.
    This is another reason to buy new from a reputable store. The way I shop around for bargains, I'll end up with a rebranded fed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    No paris hilton for me, too skinny.

This is another reason to buy new from a reputable store. The way I shop around for bargains, I'll end up with a rebranded fed.
    Nice fat checkbook/trust fund though.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin