Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,774   Online: 813

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, I had one - for one single day from my dealer.

My verdict:

- Best finder in a 35mm RF ever, much better than my M6 even, lightyears ahead a Contax G or a Bessa.

- Leightweight, almost a little plasticky like a consumer SLR

- Loud shutter, unpleasant noise, just like a Bessa. How can such a small camera make such a loud noise? Even my Canon VT from 1955 or so is quieter.

So, I decided not to buy it. For a street shooter the shutter is a show stopper. But I would like to have that finder...

If Zeiss decides to make a "ZI2" with an acceptable shutter I will be among the first to buy one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a used M2 or M3, easily found for under $1,000 these days...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    that camera satisfies not one of the OPs three listed requirements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oops...I shouldn't try to read APUG in the morning before my eyes open

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    I'd get a screwmount body, but I want a wide rangefinder and M mount. not LTM

I think if I'll be getting 35/1.2, I'll be shooting it wide open most of the time and I need the wide rangefinder base.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would still just get an SLR. I shoot a 15mm f/3.5 lens through it and it is easy enough to focus, especially with the better screens. a fast 35mm lens is a walk in the park with an SLR, you'll get a ton of fine focus range.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Well, I had one - for one single day from my dealer.

My verdict:

- Best finder in a 35mm RF ever, much better than my M6 even, lightyears ahead a Contax G or a Bessa.

- Leightweight, almost a little plasticky like a consumer SLR

- Loud shutter, unpleasant noise, just like a Bessa. How can such a small camera make such a loud noise? Even my Canon VT from 1955 or so is quieter.

So, I decided not to buy it. For a street shooter the shutter is a show stopper. But I would like to have that finder...

If Zeiss decides to make a "ZI2" with an acceptable shutter I will be among the first to buy one.
    I had one in my hands recently and the build quality-to-price was the deal breaker for me. I wear stuff pretty hard, which is a big part of why I use a Nikon F5 and manual focus (metal bodied) lenses. I'd heard way too many people complain way too much about body/quality issues with the Bessas to sink $1,300 into a ZI. I'm too risk averse for that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino View Post
    I had one in my hands recently and the build quality-to-price was the deal breaker for me. I wear stuff pretty hard, which is a big part of why I use a Nikon F5 and manual focus (metal bodied) lenses. I'd heard way too many people complain way too much about body/quality issues with the Bessas to sink $1,300 into a ZI. I'm too risk averse for that.
    what's wrong with the build quality? are you equating heaviness to build quality?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm looking at getting an R2A (half as much as the Ikon), but I've heard this about the build quality too. Just as passing remarks though - can anyone expand on this? I've heard the rangefinder can come misaligned, but this is rectifiable. What is wrong with the build quality? What breaks in the Cosina Rangefinders?
    (slight topic hijacking)
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    I would still just get an SLR. I shoot a 15mm f/3.5 lens through it and it is easy enough to focus, especially with the better screens. a fast 35mm lens is a walk in the park with an SLR, you'll get a ton of fine focus range.
    Very different beasts. No SLR is as small and discreet as a 35mm RF with small lens. People react better when I use my leicas because they think it is more of a P&S than anything else. lenses are far smaller and more pocketable...kit can be made to disappear and the Leica can go under the coat etc. Much more discreet and much easier to travel light with supreme optical performance, esp at low speeds. I specifically bought the Leica when I became fed up with street shooting using a SLR. I would use pretty well any RF over an SLR for walkabout photography. Half the weight, half the bulk, quieter etc

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin