Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,403   Online: 736

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, oddly it seems the M5 is bringing higher prices lately given the renewed interest in the camera and its limited supply. I have 5 Leicas from the IIIa to an M6 and M4-P. I never liked the feel of the M5 which has been pointed out is very un-Leica like. I guess my all time fav is the M4-P but i never use on board meters anyway.

Ray

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've owned an M2 and M5 for over 30 years. The M2 is better for fondling, but the M5 is a shooter! The M5's controls are designed better. You can adjust shutter speed easily without removing the camera from your eye (shutter speed is displayed in the viewfinder). The rewind crank is larger, simpler, and faster. The narrow angle meter pattern is more selective than later models. The analog meter display gives a more intuitive idea of under/over exposure than blinking LEDs. The slightly larger size provides for good handling without the need for silly add-on accessories.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had an M5 and an M6 a couple of years ago. I liked the M5 way better. The metering is easier, just cross the 2 needles, and the shutterspeed is visible in the viewfinder. As has been written, the shutterspeeddial is also much easier to turn without taking your eye of the viewfinder. The M5 dial can also be set in between the shutterspeeds. Try to get a 3-lug model, the shutterspeed dial on these models has clickstops and thus doesn't turn to easy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My 2-lug M5 has click stops also, so I'm not sure when that may have changed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like the relatively large size of the M5. As a pentax 67 user, this is a non-issue for me. I like how this camera "area" meters and displays the settings in the viewfinder, and how the shutter speed dial overhangs for easy adjustment while viewing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The M5 is designed for shooters. It's easier to use than the M3, has a spot meter and BUILT. It's also quite a bit quieter than the M3. I have both cameras so am speaking from experience.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO, they are just fine, and due to the collective hatred of them, they *should* be the way to make a bargain entry into the Leica M world. However, they are NOT actually a bargain. They are ridiculously overpriced in my experience. The M3 and M2 (and M1 if all you need to do is zone focus) are the bargains of the system (if you don't count non-Leica bodies).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Stephen Gandy says in his article about the M5 that Japanese collectors drove the prices up in the mid-90's -- and they just stayed up. It's a very thorough article -- it also lists lenses that won't work with the M5 -- and worth the read. I considered for a long time whether to get an M6 and decided on an M5 instead. Though it differs in ergonomics from the other M bodies, I found it very familiar after years of using another unpopular Leica, the CL. They were developed at about the same time, and clearly some of the same considerations went into both of them: match-needle spot metering, protruding shutter-speed dials, even the vertical way the cameras were designed to be hung around one's neck. (The overhanging shutter-speed dial is even closer in design to that of my Canon EF SLR, and Canon too abandoned the idea -- unfortunately, I think.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    The M5 is the forgotten Leica.

If you enjoy the light meter arms shadow in your negative when it doesn't swing out of the way as you press the shutter release, then it is the camera for you.
    You should have your M5 serviced.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    IMO, they are just fine, and due to the collective hatred of them, they *should* be the way to make a bargain entry into the Leica M world. However, they are NOT actually a bargain. They are ridiculously overpriced in my experience. The M3 and M2 (and M1 if all you need to do is zone focus) are the bargains of the system (if you don't count non-Leica bodies).

Hello,

I bought my M5 from KEH for $800 three years ago.

When I dropped my M3 the same year, my insurance company covered it's replacement cost at $1600.

That said, I'd say the M5 is a VERY affordable entry into Leica M photography.
    Jeff M

M3, M5, CLE, Minolta XE7, Minolta Maxxum 9, Minolta Maxxum 9000, Nikon F3HP, etc., etc.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin