Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,243   Posts: 1,680,121   Online: 722

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Just in case it becomes defective spare parts are a huge problem. There is no place on planet earth where you can buy parts for an M5 lightmeter. A dead lightmeter in an M5 is like a death sentence. Of course, everything else works without the meter, but for that it's an expensive M Leica. An M5 is an expensive collectors item. You are probably much better of with an M6 - camera, meter and price are much better and you get spare parts.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The M6 is a more modern camera than M5, it's true, but the RF of the M6 is little less good than the RF of the M5 (same to RF of the Leica M4). The metering system of the M6, however, is better and more simple than the metering system of the M5.
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used both the M5 and the M6 and I think the M5 is the MUCH better camera. Better viewfinder and setting the shutterspeed/aperture with the lightmeter works much nicer because the shutterspeeds are visible in the viewfinder as well as to which side the aperture on the lens has to be moved to get the correct exposure. If I remember correctly, you could also set the shutterspeed dial between the speeds on the dial.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bunnik View Post
    If I remember correctly, you could also set the shutterspeed dial between the speeds on the dial.
    True. The M5 and CL both had continuously variable shutter speed dials. They don't just default to the nearest detent.

Lee

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bunnik View Post
    I used both the M5 and the M6 and I think the M5 is the MUCH better camera. Better viewfinder and setting the shutterspeed/aperture with the lightmeter works much nicer because the shutterspeeds are visible in the viewfinder as well as to which side the aperture on the lens has to be moved to get the correct exposure. If I remember correctly, you could also set the shutterspeed dial between the speeds on the dial.
    The inter-detent setting is pretty cool but I'd say that shutterspeed in the viewfinder is totally unnecessary. Part of using a Leica is adjusting the shutter speed as you move from one scene to another and observing light before you take the shot. Or alternatively leaving it fixed and adjusting aperture instead.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The M5 was widely LOVED by a class of shooters who made pictures for pay.

A spot meter made color available light very easy to do. The other option, at the time, was a Canon F1, which was dark as heck and had a huge metering area. I survived back then shooting stage work, and the M5 was a joy.

It was bigger than an M4, and it could be shot at slow speeds. It had the bad luck to be released as the US economy was beginning to tank because of the war. The OPEC war followed, and the stagflation of the '70s killed it off.

Leica posers, I mean owners who never knew how to shoot pictures, didn't like them. But they don't like anything.

An M5, a 50 Summilux, and a roll of Kodachrome was a real treat back then. Remember, it metered more accurately, in lower light, than ANYTHING else could come close to. A wonderful camera.

Last edited by df cardwell; 11-27-2009 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No matter what a person things about the Leica M5, but one thing is truly extraordinary, for a camera produced for only 4 years: for better or for worse, is the most talked Leica M ever. I own a complete collection of photographic articles and review, in italian or english languages, on the Leica M cameras and lenses. The Leica M on which is written most is precisely the M5. Mean something, after all...
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

Shooter
    35mm

Two kinds of people

I took Bigfoot out today. Wandering around shopping, lunch, more wandering. I loaded Fuji Provia 100F and attached the 90mm Elmarit-M that I bought last week. First outing for the camera+lens+film combination.

It'll be a week or more before the slides confirm my early impression. Another excellent combination. 1973 camera mates perfectly with 2001 lens.

Once more I realize just how much I like using an M5. The 90mm lens balances perfectly. A joy to use.

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who get it. Those who don't.

I get it!

PS: Don't you love it when somebody asks for advice and then disappears?
    Last edited by Venchka; 11-27-2009 at 09:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in 1975, I borrowed an M5 with the 50mm Summilux from a dealer in Seattle. I had been a Contax user; loved them but was concerned because the shutters got jammed so often. I don't mean the Contax everyone knows now, the original, Contax II's and III's. I'd just burned another one out. I'd always wanted to try a Leica, and when offered I couldn't turn it down. I used it to photograph dancers in dark places. I was immediately impressed - and those who've used Leicas to make their livings will understand - with the speed at which film could be moved through it and the success rate when film went through it fast. It integrated into my intuitive working mode perfectly. When I had to give it back, they offered me an M4 at a good price, and I took it. Later I picked up an M2, and I used them both on many magazine assignments for many years. I used Pentaxes too, but my tool of choice was always the pair of Leicas. One clincher -- photographing in sub 20°F temperatures, the Pentaxes froze up; ripped the film on rewind. The Leicas worked perfectly. Always, no matter the conditions.

So fast forward some 30 years, I came into a bit of money; just enough to buy a used Leica body. I went for the M5 with no hesitation. I loved all of them, but the M5 had a certain draw for me. I feel very fortunate to have one. I'm no longer shooting for clients, so I only need one with my current beater M2 as a backup. I've found that with the 40mm Cosina Voitländer f/1.4 single coated Nokton, I have pretty much all I need supplemented with a couple other focal lengths - the 135 Hektor and the old 85mm Canon Serinar pretty much do it, but I might like to have something wider, too. The old Summilux was great, but I like the Nokton better. I'd like also to have a 50mm rigid Summicron - the DR or its non-DR sibling. Those because there has never been anything that compares with them.

Sure the M5 is bigger, and it isn't quite the same as the rest of the M series in the way it feels and works. However, I am absolutely convinced that it is the best Leica ever. I agree with DF Cardwell on this one. If you are a collector, you might not like it but if you shoot for blood, you can't beat it. Tough as nails, probably the strongest camera ever made. I'd stake my life on it. Also, I love the fact that collectors so often revile it - that will change, but so far, it has been a bit less dear when it comes to buying one. It's been a great deal.

Some people seem to think that if the light meter goes out you're a dead duck. I never had a light meter in the camera in M2's M4's etc. I've pumped an enormous amount of film, and I always carry a spare light meter. If my light meter dies, I'll try to get it fixed and I bet I can, but if I can't, it won't slow me down so much as i'd notice.

My M5 is due back from DAG next week. I ordered a complete overhaul with perfect confidence. I paid in advance.
    Last edited by bowzart; 11-27-2009 at 10:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sherry K. gave Bigfoot the Royal treatment right before I bought it. DAG gave Bubba a CLA and new frame lines right before I bought it. I have a stash of real PX625 batteries. I'm good to go.

I do have too many lenses. I'll get that sorted out one of these days and send a few extras along to new homes. The 51.9mm DR Summicron won't be going anywhere. I totally agree. Nothing before or since like a DR Summicron.

As for collectors...Imagine the price of the M3 if Leitz had only made 70,000+? Thank goodness for those who "Don't get it."
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin