Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,251   Online: 733

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys, the M5 is not twice the camera of the other Ms. ANY M is perfectly capable for those really "get it."

More and more often the memorable and solid work I see from both friends and other photographers hasn't a damn thing to do with which specific model camera they used. The one thing they did do was STICK with something and continually use it.

It's almost tragic comedy at this point. The most significant part of achieving solid photography costs absolutely nothing at all, and people continually look right past it. The comedy part of it is that while people are out there fondling their gear and screwing around with adjustments the rest of us can get our shots and go.

Embrace limitations.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi Wayne, we meet again!
    I use my Bigfoot with Summicron 90 TS (1969), Summicron 35/2 goggled (1958), Summicron 50 DR (1962), VC 15/4.5 M. Also, occasionally, i mount on Bigfoot a Nikkor LTM 135/3.5 or Nikkor LTM 85/2 (both 1950), a VC Apo Lanthar 90/3.5, a Summaron 35/2.8 (1962) and Jupiter 9 85 (1977). The Bigfoot always work at the best. To replace the PX625 battery, i use a Kanto MR9 adapter, with 386 silver oxide battery.
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    It's almost tragic comedy at this point. The most significant part of achieving solid photography costs absolutely nothing at all, and people continually look right past it. The comedy part of it is that while people are out there fondling their gear and screwing around with adjustments the rest of us can get our shots and go.
    There is a lot of truth here. I can, and have, built cameras out of cardboard, tin cans, among other things. I have also built special purpose cameras to satisfy particular, and sometimes peculiar needs.

However, there is nothing at all wrong with using the tools you prefer. A good woodworker can do wonders with a $99 direct drive table saw, but would probably be much happier with something that is more dependable, more accurate, and just plain more pleasant to use.
    Last edited by bowzart; 11-28-2009 at 10:37 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm
    What he said. ^^^^

And another thing...while it may be true that the M5 is the most cussed and discussed Leica body ever built, M5 owners don't bash all of the other Leica bodies the way non-owners bash the M5. Just an observation.

Yes, we should all be out wasting film. With the hardware we have.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let's get a grip here before somebody at another forum sees us making nice about the 5,
    and drive the price up.

AWFUL ! TERRIBLE ! UNRELIABLE !

Back in a few, kids, I'm going shopping....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems to me a good Leica is any Leica. I'd be happy to have an M5 and several thousands of dollars in glass. Seriously, the Leica M6 has been the most recommended body to me. I like some of the comments I have read on the M5 and am going to learn more about it. Anybody in Florida want to loan me one for trials?

Shooter
    35mm
    Mr. Cardwell,

You are totally correct. Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad camera.

John R.,

You don't need thousands of dollars in lenses. Would it be nice? Sure. Needed? No.

Enjoy!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Mr. Cardwell,

You are totally correct. Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad camera.

John R.,

You don't need thousands of dollars in lenses. Would it be nice? Sure. Needed? No.

Enjoy!
    Obviously, am well aware of that. I use a G with 3 lenses. My point was not a serious one, just an indicator of what could easily become the case.

Shooter
    35mm
    Very good. Just making sure that everyone understood that. :-)
    Wayne
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So can anyone give me an idea of what a M5 should go for? I don't need any of the fancy ones and cosmetics are secondary to function. I was bidding on one and went it went past $650 USD, I bailed. Perhaps I was too hasty. Were is a good source of pricing information? Also, is there any place to buy other than ebay?

Robert

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin