Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 826

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HiNDri View Post
    So can anyone give me an idea of what a M5 should go for? I don't need any of the fancy ones and cosmetics are secondary to function. I was bidding on one and went it went past $650 USD, I bailed. Perhaps I was too hasty. Were is a good source of pricing information? Also, is there any place to buy other than ebay?

Robert
    Do a search for completed auctions of M5's on ebay. You would be limited to something like one month's information, but if you follow it for awhile you can get a pretty good idea what they are going for.

Shooter
    35mm
    M5s come along at the Rangefinder Forum and of course KEH. KEH bargain grade (BGN) combined with their return policy (15 days as I recall) is an affordable way to get a user grade M5. That said, I can't recall seeing an M5 for less than $750 at the Rangefinder Forum, but I haven't seen every one for sale since buying Bigfoot & Bubba in 2006. I no longer look at ebay.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    35mm

Ask and ye shall recieve!

Listed moments ago. I hope this doesn't violate some secret code.

No, it's not one of mine. I am only the messenger. Bigfoot & Bubba are safe where they belong.

SOLD!http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot.../product/19107
    Last edited by Venchka; 12-01-2009 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks very good.

It's insurance to ask for a roll of film before dropping that much money on a used camera, regardless of what it is. My shutter curtains came to me operating at different speeds (one end of each negative lighter than the other).

It just occurred to me how to test for this. Ask for pairs of the same scene, each pair at different shutter speeds (above 1/60; below that, both curtains are open). One of each pair made right side up, the other upside down. if the same end of each scene is consistently lighter or darker, there's not likely to be a problem. If the same end of the scene viewed right side up (or wrong side up) is not the same, it indicates a problem. Also, as the speeds increase (that is, incrementally less time) the problem gets worse.

I've had this problem before with a couple of other cameras and have seen it many times in my career as a photo instructor. I think it probably comes from a camera sitting unused more than anything, and great cosmetic condition is probably a good indicator of probability. Getting Don Goldberg to lube and readjust an M5 runs something a bit more than $200. Since I would be spending that kind of money anyway, I went for the complete overhaul at about $100 more. Might as well have a new camera. I'd planned on having it serviced anyway, but if you don't want to add a few hundred to the price you pay, it's a good test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This M5 with a trip to DAG will set one up with a great camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That one on RFF is already gone. Lasted less than four hours.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting. Good to know.
    Wayne
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    35mm RF
    time for some more M5 love...

Just got back from dropping the new body off for a CLA at one of the more gourmet-camera-geared shops around here (usually seems like they service Leica, Nikon, 'Blad and some other MF stuff).

With any luck it should be done in the next few days -- hopefully it'll be as smooth as the M4-P I tandem CLA'd with Youxin (read: he did it while I watched and we chatted) a few years back. The guy also said he could do the meter-rework to adjust it to modern 1.5v batteries, so hopefully that works as well. I'll keep you all posted.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin