Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,383   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    hmb

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Leica M5 any opinions?

I have used the M7, loved it. Wondering if anyone could give me any insight on the M5. What I have heard is quite mixed.
    Thanks!
    Heather

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The M5 is the forgotten Leica.

If you enjoy the light meter arms shadow in your negative when it doesn't swing out of the way as you press the shutter release, then it is the camera for you. Stick to the M7, or M6 TTL.

The Minolta CLE was a better Leica then the Leica M5.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    if you like Leica M the best choice is M3 and MP (the last one MP still available is fine too).

hmb

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why M3 over M6 TTL?
    Walter, you made me laugh!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    M5 is a great camera, and although bigger than the regular m's its a fine camera. I use a M6TTL and it is fine and a great bargain today

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There seems to be little middle ground on the M5--most people either hate it or love it. If you haven't used one of the other Leica M cameras, it may suit you okay. If you have used other M bodies, the M5 seems foreign. It's bigger with the levers and other controls being in different places. It wasn't very "Leica-like" to camera buyers when it was released so it didn't do well in the marketplace.

I like the M6 "classic" (non-TTL). I don't use flash so the TTL option doesn't appeal to me and the shutter speed dial on the TTL models operate in the opposite direction than other Leicas. Some like the TTL dials because they turn in the direction of the lighted arrows of the exposure meter.

'Course all this just comes down to personal preference, like just about everything else in the world.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    The M5 is the forgotten Leica.

If you enjoy the light meter arms shadow in your negative when it doesn't swing out of the way as you press the shutter release, then it is the camera for you. Stick to the M7, or M6 TTL.

The Minolta CLE was a better Leica then the Leica M5.
    What are you talking about? How does one go about getting this effect? I can't make Bigfoot or Bubba do that.

Those who own and use the M5 love it.

Those who neither own nor use the M5 seem to dislike it.

Go figure.

Wayne
    Who left Louisiana and found Texas on August 29, 2005.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shadow's caused when the meter arm doesn't move completely out of the way. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hasn't happened to me yet. I don't shoot all that fast. Maybe that's why.

hmb

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My biggest reason to stay away was the size of it. I bet if not having used the other Leica's it would be a non issue. Thanks for the input!
    H

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin