Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,943   Posts: 1,585,763   Online: 1152

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    I wonder if there are Zeiss plans to set the Ikon apart from the Bessa R2A/R3A.
    The Zeiss Ikon isn't a Bessa, so I don't see a need to set them apart.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Zeiss Ikon isn't a Bessa, so I don't see a need to set them apart.
    No, but it comes out of the same factory and it sure is similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photomann View Post
    How about a Leica IIIc like mine, which I had out today in the beautiful late winter, working like a jewelled watch, its unblinking blue Summitar 50mm eye taking in the sun and wind, speaking softly in its quiet shuttered voice, capturing the magic has it has for about 60 years.
    Great phrasing! Exactly how I feel taking my Barnacks everywhere. Ya' nailed it with your first post!

Jo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Boyd View Post
    No, but it comes out of the same factory and it sure is similar.
    The Zeiss Ikon is pretty much (seen as) the middle ground between a Bessa and a Leica - according to the learned owner of my local store, and they dont sell as well as either.

I just got a Bessa R2A today, to go with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 I got from Davela a while ago. I'm having a lot of fun so far, but if I ever find it limiting I know I'll save my pennies for an M6.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The biggest problem with the Bessas (I have an R2A) is the short EBL. The Ikon has a longer EBL, like the Leicas, which makes focusing more accurate for faster and longer lenses. It's probably not built any better...just prettier, different framelines, and longer EBL. I love my R2A, but I never use anything longer than 50mm. I drool everytime I see an M6 in the classifieds. Ivan Pavlov must have secretly worked for Leica in his old age.

Paul

Shooter
    35mm
    I am selling my Bessa R and the 35/2.5 lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    ...and buying an M2. I kinda hate myself for it. I told myself I'd never let the Leica bug bite me so bad as to want to sell everything I had for one, but yeah...it's happened. The Canon 35/2.8 lens I just got screams for a nice body, and with an LTM to M adapter the M2 would be a perfect fit. I would also finally have my M body that I've been wanting for so long. Both my Kiev and the Nikon FE would go bye bye in an attempt to fund this fool's errand.

I can't even really tell you WHY I want one other than I've wanted one since the day I saw them, and holding an M4 in a camera shop really didn't help things. They just feel so solid. It's like a perfect fit in my hands.

I think I'm going to succumb to this madness. Others have gone before me, at least. Makes me feel a little better.
    Well done and welcome it's good to hear from other people on the poverty line but happy
    "Sharpness is a Bourgeois Concept"-H.Cartier-Bresson

Regards Kenneth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
    If you can do without the light meter the M2 should be great. The Leica lenses are so incredible easy to focus that they beat the autofocus. The only tough part is loading film. See Tom A's video on the subject. His trick is to fold the leader before inserting it into the take up reel. The fold hooks onto the reel.
    On my M2, I have the Leica easy load spool. It is amazingly easy to load, just like it says. Don't have to fold it. Can do no wrong.

It is not about the quality, really. It is sometimes about the sharpness of the optics, but that's less important than what it is REALLY about. It is REALLY about how it becomes a part of the body. I shot for editorial with my M2 and M4 for over a decade, and working was just an easy flow, it was like a dance.

I still have a beater M2 and (horror of horrors!) an M5. This is the only mention of that pariah of the Leica line so far, I believe!

Actually, I absolutely love that M5. If I get some money sometime, I'll buy another one. It is probably the best of them all, but for some reason, it has been regarded with everything from disdain to outright hatred. Seriously under-rated. So many great things about that thing. What a great meter! But it is shaped differently. If you got mugged, though, you could put a serious dent in the mugger, and the camera wouldn't notice. And they don't cost quite as much.

Here's what I think. If you aren't going to USE it, forget it. Don't buy a pretty one. Buy an UGLY one that works perfectly. Buy the worst one you can find and send it to Sherry or DAG for CLA (how's that for acronymy? Almost like the CIA!). Consider that a part of the price. Sherry will charge about $250 or so.

My M5 looks great, needs shutter work, and I'll send it in as soon as a ship comes in (or at least a small boat). The M2 works perfectly, has lost half of its covering and has someone's driver's license number scratched into the back of the top (not my driver's license number). I got the body for $400. I have the CV 40mm Nokton f/1.4 in the single coat version; love it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Life is short. Buy the best you can afford. What else is there?
    Sinar

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The M2 is my favorite M, and a hell of a camera (my favorite is button rewind with no self timer...so clean and bare), but why sell everything for a camera that can be fairly easily obtained in decent condition for $600 or less? Work some overtime, and you can get one right quick! For $1,000, you can probably get a fairly nice one with a lens, *and* get it serviced. Just sell what you don't use and/or will never use, but don't sell everything. A Leica M is not worth it. If I had to have one camera, it would definitely not be a Leica M2. It would be a tough call. My IIIa or IIIc would be among the finalists, but I think I would have to go with something in medium format.

I have a suggestion: Try a Yashica Electro 35 for a while before committing to an M2. They are no more than $10 in most cases, give good image quality, and will give you a feel for a rangefinder. As added benefits, they are so cheaply made that they weigh almost nothing, and they are among the most silent 35mm cameras ever made. They also have a pretty fast lens (f/1.7), which you will have to pay through the teeth for with a Leica.

The whole time you are shooting with the Yashica, be saving your extra money. Then, after a while, if you dig the rangefinder and are still buggin', get the M2 with what you have saved! If you decide that a RF is not for you, then you are only out a fraction of what you would be out with the Leica.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-17-2008 at 02:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin